Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a loosely organized group called Shift in Portland that organizes various rides and events intended to promote "bike fun." This weekend we did a ride out to Tryon Creek State Park on the outskirts of SW Portland and did some trail hiking before riding back.

It was a pretty big group - I think close to 40 riders total. There was a wonderful mix of people and abilities on the ride. We didn't break any speed records, but focused on getting out and having a good time. Having just moved to pdx recently, I've found these rides to be a great way to meet people.

You'll notice the prevalence of denim-wearing riders and utility bikes - pretty common in Portland.

Heading up Terwilliger

Our first rest stop

Bicyclists "fueling up" at a gas station - how ironic!

Hiking along Tryon Creek

Suspension bridge

Daffodils in bloom

Heading back to downtown Portland

Crossing the Hawthorne Bridge into SE Portland to meet up at a local pub

Enjoy,

Scott

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You photoshop those blue skies in there?!?

BTW great to see so many folks out on a grey day-OTOH what else are you going to do in Portland....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
zpl said:
There's a loosely organized group called Shift in Portland that organizes various rides and events intended to promote "bike fun."
Looks like they`re achieving their goal. Heavy bikes with crap bolted on, street clothes, general lack of STI, smiles galore- looks like my kind of ride group!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I doesn't always have to be a hamerfest. Sometimes it's all about the ride. Nice report.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
jealous jealous jealous.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
I like Portland's style.

So what did people do with their panniers while hiking? Carry them? Leave them behind?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
llama31 said:
So what did people do with their panniers while hiking? Carry them? Leave them behind?
Some people took them with them, others did not (and I presume didn't have anything valuable in them). I don't think the state park is regularly visited by bike thieves. I had a trunk bag on my rack and brought it with me.

Scott

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I lived at Lewis and Clark in the summer of 2001 while studying for the Oregon bar exam. For fun I'd take my circa 1989 mountain bike out and ride through the trail through the park. I wish I'd had more time to enjoy it. It was basically the only form of entertainment I had.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I'd love to ride up there. Nice pics.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
Nice, that's basically one of my routes for my commute last summer (Mount Tabor through Lake Oswego).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts