Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently found out that, to be legal during the day around here, a bike must have a functioning bell or horn (as well as at least one set of working breaks, no way).

I got this crapiest children's almost silent bell when i bought my Felt F75. And I am not keen on mounting it on my bike.

Now, if I am going to be forced to put a horn on my bike, i might as well put something that makes some noise and serves some purpose.

What can you folks recommend for my bike? I am after something that is resonably audible from a distance (not annoying), would not require battery change every couple days, and is not that ugly and visible on the bike... (e.g. are their nice, small, airhorns that could be isntalled somewhere that is not that visible on the bike) Any recommendations appreciated.

Thank you all
F

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
fouadaswad said:
I have recently found out that, to be legal during the day around here, a bike must have a functioning bell or horn (as well as at least one set of working breaks, no way).

I got this crapiest children's almost silent bell when i bought my Felt F75. And I am not keen on mounting it on my bike.

Now, if I am going to be forced to put a horn on my bike, i might as well put something that makes some noise and serves some purpose.

What can you folks recommend for my bike? I am after something that is resonably audible from a distance (not annoying), would not require battery change every couple days, and is not that ugly and visible on the bike... (e.g. are their nice, small, airhorns that could be isntalled somewhere that is not that visible on the bike) Any recommendations appreciated.

Thank you all
F

I commute on my fredded up soma and I use a bell. I find that people react better to a bell than they do to a voice. I don't think that they would have a good response to a horn. You can get a small bell and mount it upsidedown so it is under your bar near the stem. This keeps it out of sight but still allows you to reach over and ring it with your forefinger. My bell is really loud, but in a friendly way. If you are spending any part of your ride on a MUT, I would really recommend one. As an additional benefit, when you blow by a guy wearing a full team kit looking real serious, the bell is really annoying to him. I enjoy that part the best.

·
Registered
316 Posts
fouadaswad said:

Thank you all
F

Just curious. Where is "around here"?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Really....I find people react much better to my voice then a bell...The bell I ring and ring and they rarely hear it until I right on them....My voice they hear right off the bat and usually give me a wave or shift over...I've had way more problems using the bell then my voice...

Maybe I'm using the wrong bell....

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
No horn but I rammed one of these babies up my bar as if it were a plug and it gives a nice clear "ping!". Just cut the bartape neatly and maybe some electrical tape to keep it in place. I'd have posted a pic if I had a camera so you'll just have to use your imagination.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i've got the same one, but it's on the bar, next to the stem. that's what the rubber bands are for. doubt they'll last long :)

rogger said:
No horn but I rammed one of these babies up my bar as if it were a plug and it gives a nice clear "ping!". Just cut the bartape neatly and maybe some electrical tape to keep it in place. I'd have posted a pic if I had a camera so you'll just have to use your imagination.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. Is this picture the actual swize of this thing? just trying to imagine how it would look on the bike?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
fouadaswad said:
Thanks for the responses. Is this picture the actual swize of this thing? just trying to imagine how it would look on the bike?
The picture is pretty much one on one, so it's not too disfiguring to the bike.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
botto said:
i've got the same one, but it's on the bar, next to the stem. that's what the rubber bands are for. doubt they'll last long :)
I put my bike on the Tacx every now and then so next-to-the-stem is reserved for the lever. Other side is taken up by the "computer". :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
FYI to all Hosiers: If you live in Indiana, the same laws apply.

Bell always, Brake always, and Lights after dark. Not that the cops actually know this, though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
melamst said:

Bell, Brake, and Lights after dark. Not that the cops actually know this, though.
The original poster is in New South Wales, Australia and said the law required a bell or horn during THE DAY.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
melamst said:

Bell, Brake, and Lights after dark. Not that the cops actually know this, though.
More cops know this than you might think. Most all know about the growing # of bike speed limits on MUT's :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry for the ambiguity. In NSW it is pretty much what was mentioned above: Bell and breaks always, and lights at night. Sorry for that.

HammerTime-TheOriginal said:
The original poster is in New South Wales, Australia and said the law required a bell or horn during THE DAY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts