Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm due to start alternating between life in the UK and New Zealand every 3 months quite soon.
I'd like to keep my bike with me (worth about £2K+wheels (mostly chinese carbon)), and it looks like bike boxes are the way to go. Alternatively, I could build up a bike in NZ for about £1K, maybe less if I got a good deal on a groupset.
Can I ask for your recommendations?
I figure I'm probably not in each place long enough to wait for low cost freight, and I can probably justify a reasonable outlay given I'm making 4 long haul flights a year. That said I'm not made of money, and I have a few other expenses to consider so budget is definitely a factor.
I've seen the sci con aerotech recommended highly, but haven't been able to find much on the cheaper eva cases which are attractive from a budget point of view.

Your thoughts gratefully received

· Registered
2,651 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you will be traveling every 3 months or so. I think it will be less heartache to buy a bicycle for your new home. Then move your good bike on the last trip.
It is very difficult to wonder if the bike box will make it undamaged as you sit on the airplane. Quite like torture if you ask me. It would be better just to go through that ordeal once.
If you decide to take you bike with you every time then take a look at this...

http://www.crateworks.com/merchant....Product_Code=Pro_XLC&Category_Code=Bike-Boxes

· Pack Fodder.
1,879 Posts
The cost of shipping a bike back and forth will add up quickly, and the possibility of damage is very real.

I would build up the bike and keep the less expensive bike at the location where the roads/riding isn't as nice. Having a different setup on each bike as far as weight and gearing will help overcome fitness/motivation plateaus and will allow you to tailor each bike to the terrain.

· Registered
103 Posts
This is a wonderful excuse to buy another bike. It will be so much simpler in the long run and when (if) your life changes back to living in one place you now have options for which bike to ride. Shipping one back back and forth and paying for it is just a way to incur costs and then when all is said and done you really have nothing to show for it except for a bike box...

· Get me to In&Out
5,419 Posts
I looked at taking my bike back to the states in August. When I found out it was going to be 150 Euro to get there and $200 to bring it back...that plan went out the window. If it is going to be a long term situation, I would definately look to a cheaper bike.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all!
from your comments, I think a second bike is the way to go. leaves me more options for other luggage to take, saves me a few quid on a bike box, plus I get to make a new bike!
I was pretty set on shipping my bike to and fro, seems a bit dumb now. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.