Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bike Boxes on planes

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  brurider 
#1 ·
Anyone care to weigh in on particular bike boxes they've used when flying? My LBS has a hard case to rent very economically, but it is so long (10"x27"x47"), am wondering if getting looking for something smaller might make the rental car acquistion at flights end a little easier.

#4 ·
crazyquick23 said:
How much extra are the airlines charging you to fly with your bike? Just wondering I'm considering bringing mine to Europe with me this summer.
check with the specific airline you're flying with. Some will allow an extra 10kg for sporting equipment, some none, and some will count sporting equipment, no matter how much it weighs, as 5kg of your checked baggage. There's not one specific rule, it all depends on your airline.

#5 ·
carbon13 said:
talking the ex world champ sprinter and kiren champs da just be careful they ont through it of the plane.
Was that English?

I have used a Thule and it was okay, but I don't like how the lid can move around offering the the chance for small items to fall out. I recently bought a Serfas that I think is far better.

The owner of a local boutique bike shop swears by soft cases. The main reason is that you can roll the case us and stuff it in a rental car. I generally rent a mini van so that I can haul the bike inside the vehicle, so the added case has not been a big deal.

#6 ·
I have a soft case for this very reason - given generally smaller cars in Europe it's a big pain trying to get around with a hard case. Many airlines have separate charges for weight and size. Could be as much as $80 each way. Check with the airline, but it always depends on the ticketing agent's discretion at the counter.

#7 ·
Just rent. I rented an Orbea for $40 for one day in Florida, multiple days are even cheaper. It beats lugging around the case, running the risk of damage or loss to the bike, and paying out the a$$ to the airlines for transport.

There are many more shoppes renting than you think. In Europe it really shouldn't be an issue at all. Yes this assumes you don't need a 63 or a 47.

#8 ·
Given the way airlines are increasing their baggage fees recently, I would suspect that things are getting more expensive every day for flying with your bike.

I prefer to rent too, but I have found that in some areas of the country, it can be very difficult to find a road bike for rent.

#9 ·
SFO to Kona on United Airlines = $100. SFO did not weigh the bike box.

Kona to SFO on United Airlines = $100 (almost $200). Kona weighed the bike box. My box loaded with bike and other stuff was 56lbs. Anything over 50lbs = $200. Kona told me if I can get the weight down to 52lbs they would only charge me $100.

Point is: Every airline and airport is different. Contact your airline for weight rates and dimension restrictions.

#13 · (Edited)
You guys made me curious, so I checked the web sites of some of the major airlines. The infomation is often ambiguous. For example, the airline might tell you what the charges are for flights within the U.S., but not mention the charges elsewhere. Other airlines tell you to call and ask about international rules. It seems that if you can get it packed small enough (probably not possible with most bicycles), it would not be subject ot extra charges on most airlines. At any rate, it seems pretty easy to get information from the airline web sites by searching for "bicycle".

Delta:

Non-motorized touring or racing bicycles with single seats are accepted as checked baggage, with certain limits.
Any bicycle in a box with overall dimensions not exceeding 62" or 157.5cm (length + height + width) and checked in lieu of one bag is accepted. Bicycles exceeding 62" are subject to standard oversize baggage charges.
Your bike must be packaged in a cardboard or canvas container in one of the following ways:
Handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed
Handlebars and pedals encased in plastic, Styrofoam, or other similar material
Some connection carriers and aircraft may not accept bicycles as checked baggage, and may have different limits.

American:

Oversized Baggage
Oversized Baggage does not include transatlantic or transpacific flights
Checked baggage which is larger than American Airlines stated size limits will be charged at the rate of $150 per piece.
These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or overweight baggage.
Baggage measuring more than 115 in/292 cm (total outside dimensions; length + width + height) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
Note: Bicycle boxes purchased from American Airlines which measure 118 in/300cm will be accepted.

Item: Bicycles
Allowance/Requirements: One non-motorized touring or racing bike. Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed. Or pedals and handlebars must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar material.
Cost: $100
Exception: If bicycle and container are less than 62 dimensional inches and under 50 lbs., the bike is free in place of 62 inch bag in the free allowance.
Maximum size and weight: 70 lbs
115 inches
Additional information:
- Acceptance conditional on aircraft size and load conditions
- Exception: If a bike is less than 62 dimensional inches and 50 lbs., the above conditions do not apply
- If this item is in excess of the number of pieces allowed in the free baggage allowance, excess baggage charges apply in addition to the $100 special items fee.

United:

The following information is for sports equipment and special items checked for travel wholly within the U.S. 50 states and to/from Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Jamaica, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, San Juan, Puerto Rico, St. Maarten and St. Thomas U.S.V.I. To find out specific requirements for special items on other international flights, please call United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331). Unless otherwise noted, baggage must be checked in the cargo hold.

Bicycle

Allowance/requirements
Non-motorized bicycle must be prepared for travel by the customer. United does not provide tools. Handlebars must be turned sideways and protruding pedals and accessories must be removed. The bicycle must be contained in a protective/durable case, bag or box.

Cost
Within U.S./Canada: $85 USD

Maximum weight/size
50 pounds/62 linear inches

Other information
Allow an extra 30 minutes at check-in.

If travel includes a United Express flight, please contact United for information regarding aircraft cargo hold limits.

Continental:

Bicycles
Continental Airlines accepts a non-motorized bicycle with single seat or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. The following are bicycle restrictions: If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 lbs (23kg) and/or 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $100 service charge applies each way. The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply. Bicycle equipment over 70lbs (32 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is under 50 lbs (23kg) and/or 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), if applicable the second bag fee ($25) applies. Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed or
All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material or
Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box. If a box is needed, see the Courtesy Bags section of this site.
Continental is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.
Note: Bicycles will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed.

#14 ·
The last time I flew with a wheel box they charged me $50. They also made me sign a waiver releasing them of all responsibility if the contnents were damaged. Had I known this earlier, I would have shipped the box UPS as this would have been cheaper and (theoretically) they would have been insured against damage.

I have a Trico Case, but I usually send it ahead via UPS rather than hassle with it. Those case are heavy and unwieldy even when empty. UPS has its issues, but on balance I trust them much more than airlines.

#17 ·
Bike boxes on planes

I loved the comment by terzo rene, as one poster always says, it is so unfair. However, we digress. I am only going from BWI-SFO via SWest on tickets bought some time ago - not across the big pond. Back in Feb or so the fee was $50 each way for the bike. A fee I was willing to right off as the price of vacation and the once in a life time trip for an east coaster to ride the Sierra and cheat Death - hopefully. I appreciate the idea of renting a bike, avoiding the hazzle of dragging a huge box around, fitting it in a car bigger than may be needed w/out the box, etc. The big fear is bike fit and a quasi love affair with the old stead that has gotten me through spring training. Any reputable bike shops that rent road bikes in Tahoe area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.