Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

A rider in our group ride told me there are brackets you can just bolt to the front wall of pickup bed. He said it's not a bar, just a couple brackets that save space and just bold right to the bed frame.

Does anyone have a link or name for such a product?

Truck is a 2007 GMC Crew Cab Duramax Diesel with short bed

Thank You all in advance.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've seen lots of these, and several club members have them. Most of the guys I know don't bolt them directly to the bed or cab, but mount them to a 2 x 4 cut to the exact width of the bed. That way they can remove it easily. I think they're called fork mounting brackets, or bike mounting brackets. If I were going to start looking I'd try www.performancebike.com or www.bikenashbar.com, and search for bike carriers, bike racks, car mounts, or something like that.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
Just buy "fork mounts" - available many places including on line.

Don't bolt them to the truck bed, there's no reason to do it.

Screw the fork mounts onto a 2X6 (or 8) that is as long as the width of your truck bed. If multiple, space appropriately so handlebars fit. Putting them at an angle can help.

Put the board across the bed at the rear end, so when you mount the bike, the rear wheels are toward the front. Mount the fork, tighten the fork mount. Then slide the thing forward so the rear wheel of the bike are against the front wall of the pickup bed.

If your board is the width of the bed, it won't slide back and forth. Mounting the bike rear tire forward, fork rearward is (1) easier to do and (2) the whole thing won't slide forward when you put on the brakes.

by using the board rather than bolting to the truck bed, you can remove it whenever you want and wont' have holes in your truck bed.

Same technique can be used in the back of a Suburban.

· Registered
27 Posts
When I had a truck with a bedliner, I used a piece of 1x4 with a "bike tight". I put a couple of small L-hooks (similar to what is used for hanging things in ceilings) on the bottom and drilled a couple of small holes in the bed LINER to match. With the hooks engaged the board couldn't slide around. Bike was mounted facing aft. Man, I miss that truck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.