Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I had and what I've done with a question at the end. I decided to buy a used bike with the right frame/fit with the intent of upgrading/rebuilding. I found my ride(able) wreck on c-list for $300.00 a 2009 Masi Alare and have upgraded everything from a Sora/Tiagra mix to 105, brakes, FD(triple), RD(long cage) but I could not afford a 105 crank I went with FSA there. I also took it from a compact to a triple 30/42/53 with 11/30 cassette I am some what ok with the Sore shifters I am wanting to go 105 on them as well. The only used 105 shifters I am finding are beat up looking and to me way over priced considering condition.

Question: Which 105 shifters can I really use ?

I know 3X9 is would be ideal but are there other options ? Can I use a 3x10 and just get the limiters right ?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Nope. If you have a 9-speed cassette you have to use a 9-speed shifter. the spacing between the cogs is different.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Right, the shifters have to match. So the good news is that if you buy a new cassette you can upgrade to 10-speed. I got a new Tiagra 10sp cassette on Amazon for $30.

Your 11-30 cassette would be useful if you lived in the mountains because it has a super low granny gear (30/30) but a really huge big gear of 53/11. If you live where it's flatter you'd probably want something like a 12-26.

Triple shift levers are harder to find than double and you have to get triple. I think the newer 105 are 5703?
If you have to buy new shifters MicroShift has many models that will work.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,987 Posts
You can use mismatched items if you use this:

Jtek ShiftMate

It's probably the cheapest solution.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your 11-30 cassette would be useful if you lived in the mountains because it has a super low granny gear (30/30) but a really huge big gear of 53/11. If you live where it's flatter you'd probably want something like a 12-26.

I do live in a hilly area and travel throughout the country, so I wanted a very wide gear ratio for any terrain. Besides I suck at climbing. :blush2: I do have a 12/26 just did not care for the "close ratios", I love getting the 53-11 rolling! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.