Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

As a new bike owner, I would love to hear your tips on bike care and maintenence, such as bike washing (is hosing enough, how often, etc) chain ring greasing (how often), and anything that you know is a obvious but I would not dream off.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
fouadaswad said:
hi

As a new bike owner, I would love to hear your tips on bike care and maintenence, such as bike washing (is hosing enough, how often, etc) chain ring greasing (how often), and anything that you know is a obvious but I would not dream off.

Thank you
Go out and buy two mop buckets, a car sponge, a scourer with sponge attached & 2 floor scrubbing brushes.

Fill one bucket with hot soapy water (use dish detergent) and the other with clean warm water.

Scrub the section of chain between the chainrings & rear mech, until th whole chain has been done using the sponge-scourer along the sides, top & bottom.

Then wash the rest of the bike from the top down.

Drop the wheels out and give the tyres etc a scrub.

Replace the wheels & give the bartape a scrub with clean soapy water.

Rinse.

Spin the cranks in a high gear to remove excess water.

Lightly lube the chain along the uppermost face of the bottom run of the chain.

Dry off frame with a rag & polish with furniture polish.

Repeat every week or two.

Have the bike serviced & the drive train degreased regularily at your LBS. If you want to try it yourself, use Finishline Ecotech or similar. Avoid Gunk & Muc Off.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
Sounds about what I do, but you left out using cotton swaps for the fine detailing, when you are bored & its raining out.
Also very important...do not clean your bike unless you have access to beer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I usually take a ratchet strap and hoist the bike up in the air and wash the bike frame and wheels first with kit car wash and wax. And use a chamois to dry the bike off then I spray simple green liberally on the chain and cassette and take a wheel brush to scrub the gunk out of the chain and cassette then rinse and apply a fresh coat of chain lube and work the lube into the chain with a rag. Last but not least I use maxima chain wax spray on the pivot points of the shifters front and rear. Oh and don't forget to have an adequate supply of beer on hand. I usually do this about every two weeks or after every ride in the rain.

good luck
phx

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Like most things,

it depends. How much do you ride, and in what conditions? How fussy are you about having your bike look nice and shiny and clean, or do you just want it to work well and look reasonably good? If you don't ride in the rain or on muddy surfaces, the extensive and frequent washing described by the other posters is way overkill, IMO, and if you're not really careful about drying and relubing you can do some harm by such vigorous washing.

The most important frequent maintenance is lubing the chain (and cleaning occasionally), because it undergoes constant stress and has lots of moving parts (about as many as the rest of the bike). Many people use a "self-cleaning" chain lube (i.e., an oil diluted with solvents, like ProLink or Slick Willy), which you apply liberally, then wiping off the excess, which carries away some of the dirt. I do that every hundred miles or so, and only pull the chain for a thorough cleaning ever 1000 miles or so, unless I've ridden in really dirty conditions.

So how much do you ride, and do you ride in the rain?

Oh, I assume you're talking about a road bike, ridden on the road. Mountain bike on dirt is a whole 'nother thing.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Do more than I do, but less than a fanatic....

As several other people have pointed out, it depends. About the only thing I ALWAYS do is keep the chain lubed, and once in awhile drip some oil on the pivot points on the brakes and derailleurs. I have one bottom bracket that hasn't been touched in 12 years on a Trek that was used when I got it, did duty as my main bike for three years, got hybridized for mild off-road riding, spent a couple of years as a commuter, then was turned into a single speed and has done that for three or four years. My Atlantis has ~5000 miles in three years and hasn't had anything but lubrication and one new chain, and the Rambouillet (2000/1 yr.) hasn't been touched except for chain lube. My mountain bike doesn't get ridden much anymore, but I used it hard for the first three or four years I had it (bought 1995), and I don't think I've done anything but a brake pad swap and normal clean-lube stuff. Everything still shifts pretty well and works fine.
I'm not recommending this non-routine, and I do plan to get into everything in the next few weeks to be ready for the summer, but bikes generally don't take a lot of fussing to keep them ready to ride.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,882 Posts
so no-one here is "anal" enough to paste wax the whole bike including the spokes?
all of you...hang your heads in shame....once a month you should bring the bike inside in the evening, crank the stereo (here is where the beer comes in (or better yet, a FINE RUM...not that crap spiced stuff...Mount Gay, Eclipse (since 1703...they KNOW what they are doing by now)) Clear off the dining room table, throw a towel on it so as not to scratch the table, set up the training stand, clamp the bike in and use a good quality boat wax (a good cleaner/wax) and go over the whole thing. The drive train is best done outside as the mineral spirits are fairly volatile and quite frankly stink. Use a cleaner machine on the chain then a stiff tooth brush on the gears. Compressed air to blow the water off the chain only then re-lube....I use Le Tour, then wipe the chain...Chamois all the water off the bike and take 'er out and ride thru the puddles..........did I mention the "anal" thing?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Unless my bike is very dirty, I skip the water / rinse part. I clamp it in my repair stand. Next I clean the drive train, chain, chainwheels, cogs, jockey wheels, etc. and re-lube. Then I remove both wheels, wipe the frame down gently with a wet rag. I then spray the whole bike with Pledge, and wipe it off/polish it. I also use Pledge on the wheels, including the spokes, hubs & rims. It's easy, neat enough that I can do it in the basement, fast, and looks great. Hey! Use lemon Pledge & it'll smell good too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The paste wax is too much work for me. I found some McGuire's spray cleaner/wax that's really easy to spray on and wipe off. I've had this bike for 3 years/3000 miles and it still looks brand new. i baby it!

Totally agree with the beer thing. There are very few chores that don't go over better with a nice brew in hand!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Beer

I'm fairly new to this board and road biking in general, but I like the way you guys think... I've been a mtb rider for years (I'm sure there is some slang term for us on here) who does his own wrenching... I generally do not work on my bike unless I got a good brew in my hands.. it calms the nerves, gives me a reason to keep doing what I am doing and justg makes the whole process go smoother... its my secret in the garage.... people sometimes ask me why I don't open a bike shop and I say because I'd become an alcoholic... if ya couldn't tell by a few of my typos, i've been working on a bike tonight

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
fouadaswad said:
hi

Thank you
I don't recommend turning a hose on any moving part of a bike--you don't want to take a chance of flushing out any of your lubricant. This is not the issue it used to be, with all the sealed bearings in use now, but I still wouldn't do it--why risk forcing water in somewhere you don't want it to be?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I found that paste wax is far too labor intensive. Personally I roll with a nice chemical cleaner polish (non-abrasive) and about 20 coats of non-cleaning paint sealant. Yes, the same stuff they put on your car at the stealership for a $400 premium (the 24 oz bottle costs $20, uses about 1/5 oz per coat for a bike). This is, of course after a thorough washing using car wash concentrate (1:128 dilution with water) and a sheepskin mitt (the reall soft ones, not the Wal-Mart kind). For upkeep I use Poorboy's Spray & Wipe and a very plush microfiber towel. I do this whenever I'm home (where all of the stuff for my detailing business is) from college.

Also, I clean/lube my chain on the bike every 150 miles/1 week, whichever comes first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts