Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
a bike shop owner once told me to spray GT85 around the fork crown, into the cable housings and onto the ferrules. His justification being to protect those areas from corrosion from sweat. I've never really followed through on that. A tech at another shop told me I was oiling my chain entirely too often (which was once every other or third ride since I started). All the grime I picked up as a result made quick work deteriorating my chain.

· Registered
136 Posts
I wipe down the sides of my chain and cassette every couple of weeks. I oil the chain whenever things start to make noise. I use triflow on the cables and sleeves every couple of months...or when the shifting starts to get sluggish.

I used to be fairly obsessive about maintenance ... but that just took too much of my time and probably didn't provide any benefit to the bike. Like Placebo said it probably caused more problems. So now I just wait and in between I ride the crap out of my bike...I enjoy it much more like this!

Jared

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,069 Posts
I just checked out my anodized AL bars and stem and after only 1200 miles, my alien sweat is popping off the anodization on both! :( This is despite coating them with Boeshield, I guess I'll either have to coat them in polyurethane or get CF versions.The areas that aren't anodized are pitted already too, me so sad...

· Registered
1,134 Posts
DrSmile said:
I just checked out my anodized AL bars and stem and after only 1200 miles, my alien sweat is popping off the anodization on both! :( This is despite coating them with Boeshield, I guess I'll either have to coat them in polyurethane or get CF versions.The areas that aren't anodized are pitted already too, me so sad...
Maybe try a type of specified Krylon or Rustoleum paint meant to withstand weather, animal attacks, and other forces of nature?

I mean.... Spray painting wouldn't take more than $7 and 20 minutes :)

You could even do it in a nifty color that matches your lovely bicycle! (Did I just start a new trend??!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.