Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like the Bike Pro cases which are a "soft" case. The advantage is the way they zip up providing the TSA folks with an easy way to look inside and not have to disturb your carefull packing too much. Others will chime in for a "hard" case like the Trico's. There are advantages/disadvantages to both types. In either case, make sure you get one that has wheels and be prepared for the extra charges that the airlines wil levy.

https://www.bikeprousa.com/travel_cases.php?UID=2006051207203970.248.212.16

Birddog

G

·
Birddog said:
I like the Bike Pro cases which are a "soft" case. The advantage is the way they zip up providing the TSA folks with an easy way to look inside and not have to disturb your carefull packing too much. Others will chime in for a "hard" case like the Trico's. There are advantages/disadvantages to both types. In either case, make sure you get one that has wheels and be prepared for the extra charges that the airlines wil levy.

https://www.bikeprousa.com/travel_cases.php?UID=2006051207203970.248.212.16

Birddog
Agreed, this is what I use ( different brand but probably made in the same place) and like it.

·
Soul Mining
390 Posts
I have used a Monoc TC-1 case on three flights now, traveling between London, UK and Victoria, Canada. It's not the absolute best case in the world, but my experience has been positive. By positive I mean my bike has come out the other end unscathed, even after Air Canada "lost" it. When that happened it arrived at my home in Birmingham, UK late the next day with a some fresh dents and scrapes that concerned me a bit, but the contents were unaffected.

Overall the case has picked up a few scrapes, a small crack and a couple dents, but it looks to have many more flights left in it.

I don't really think this is the greatest case; I would only recommend buying this one if the price is an absolute steal. Otherwise I would suggest something by Trico and Elite, to name just two.

Air Canada charges a flat $65 fee, one way, to carry bicycles. Mine weighed well over 50 pounds and it didn't seem to matter.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
fees are outrageous

I havent checked fees in quite some time, but when they hit $65 each way, I stopped. Unless you're going to another country, where shipping it can lead to being held up in customs, its not worth it.
Some airlines used to waive the fee, or the attendant at check-in would say something like, "That's not a bike, it's equipment for a business presentation, right?", and then they didn't have to charge you, but w/ the way airlines have gone, they charge for everything- and for this they really overcharge-- they used to say it was for "special handling"-- that was cute until I found my bike coming thru on that stupid belt for luggage pickup. Special handling my butt- incidentally- after a lengthy, and not so polite argument w/ that one, I did get those fees returned to me.

I havent travelled w/ my bike for over a year now, but the last time I checked, it was still less than $40 to ship it fed ex (one way). The last time I did it, it was only $25 each way (NY to FL).
Even at $40 each way, it's much cheaper than $80 or more each way.

I may look into shipping the wheels and frame separately the next time- many times they apply a surcharge for the size of the box.

good luck!

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
I've recently switched, after years of using a padded bike bag from performance, to a trico iron case. it keeps my CF all nice and safe ;)

don't want to pay a fee? when they ask what's in the box, tell them it's sports equipment. that's what i do, works all of the time :D

bikerdoug said:
How good are the bike cases for shipping via an airline. I have a nice bike $3,000+ and I don't want it damaged, but I want it with me when I travel. Any cases that are really good?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've found that most airlines charge about $80 each way as of late. I was lucky on my last trip when the ticket counter was busy and the agent pointed me over to the TSA people. No charge.

Depending on the cost of high end rentals, this still makes sense on a longer trip.

I have a clamshell type hard case, but I'd recommend some "stiffener pillars" even so. ExcelSports calls them "compression members" http://tinyurl.com/qzjwr

On my last trip, something must've been packed on top of the bike carrier. The pressure put both of my wheels out of true. Next time I'll use some sort of stiffeners.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have used a Performance hard shell travel case for the last nine years. It has carried a MX Leader, a litespeed, and in the recent years, a Pegoretti. I have never had any problems with bike damage and can put alot of other stuff such as helmet, shoes, and on one occasion, a floor pump, all inside the case. As far as airlines, sometimes they charge, sometimes they don't. When flying out of Oahu, it has to go through Ag inspection so I cannot do curbside. When returning, a small "fee" to a skycap and I am good to go. The case has four strong locking devices that will take a padlock, but in these days of TSA, I use brass dogchain clips as a backup to the clamps. The last flyer in the mail said that they were on sale.

·
Registered
284 Posts
CO2 problems

Whatever case you use,remember to remove CO2 cartridges. They are an absolute no-no and when they see them on the x-ray, as they likely will, most times they just have the case rejected and returned to the return address on the case by ground. So you arrive with no bike at all. Sometimes they open the case and remove the cartridges, which means when they repack the case, there could be significant issues: lost pieces, crushed wheels, etc., for which they are not liable because you put something illegal for shipment in the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.