Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys !
I'm riding an aluminium Orbea Asphalt at the moment and after I reached the limits of it I decided it's time to change. I looked around and I fell in love with Treks. I've only got around $2000 budget so the Madone 4.5 seems cool BUT my club mates told me it's more of a Sunday rider's bike than a racing bike. They advised me a Scott Addict R3 but I've had breaking echos of that model.. Btw i'm 1m92, 75kg, Junior. Therefore I'd like to get your opinion: Is it the Trek Madone 4.5 a racing bike or not ?

(My LBS sells Spe, Focus, Trek and Orbea so if you think I can get an other & better bike for the same price don't hesitate.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Go to the shop, test ride it, and let your body tell you if it's right for you or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Riding 300m won't help, and I probably will like it considering my Orbea weighs 10.5kg and the Madone 4.5 a little more than 8. Besides that, carbon rides way better than Alu so I'll obviously thing WAOUH this thing is great and jump on it.. That's why i'm asking for your experienced advice, otherwise trust me i'd be riding it now ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of 121 viewers only 1 can give me advice ? I don't understand, is this a help forum or only people with 350 messages get advice that they don't need considering their experience (unless they speak without knowing..) ??!...

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Peanya gave you the best advice. You dismissed it and now you're presuming to know why others aren't chiming in.

First, don't do that.
Second, take Peanya's advice. Ride both bikes (longer than 300m, and/or multiple times). That's how you'll know which bike is right for you.

Third, if you can't test ride, buy the red one. Everyone knows they're faster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Opus51569 said:
Peanya gave you the best advice. You dismissed it and now you're presuming to know why others aren't chiming in.

First, don't do that.
Second, take Peanya's advice. Ride both bikes (longer than 300m, and/or multiple times). That's how you'll know which bike is right for you.

Third, if you can't test ride, buy the red one. Everyone knows they're faster.
I wasn't presuming anything, but I now presume you never read my first post since you'r telling me to ride both. There is no both, I'm interested in a bike and I want to know if it's a racing bike or an old fart bike ( Spe Roubaix for example).
And eventually, if someone rode, rides or knows a better bike for the same price or less (not some chineese ****) I'll happily grab the info.
Thank You !

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
seems to me you're spending an inordinate amount of time and effort simply trying to categorize a bike. Whether it's a "race bike" or "old fart bike" is really irrelevent when considering if it's a bike you'll be comfortable on, will train on, and hopefully be fast on.

"Better" is a term that's completely subjective. Instead of wasting time figuring out whether you can call a particular bike "a race bike", do your best to make arrangements to actually ride the bike in question. How the bike is categorized means nothing compared to how it fits -- not how it fits someone else, but how it fits YOU.

"It's a race bike" .... "It's not a race bike" ...... "It's a freight train" ..... doesn't really matter.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Ok, let me go into further detail: What your buddies told you was complete BS. It's like shoes, what fits my foot won't necessarily fit your foot. If the Madone is such a bad bike, how come pros ride them and win competitions? Hmm...
There's all sorts of biases in any industry. What it really comes down to is what fits YOU the best, and that you are happy. It's like someone telling you that the Neuvation wheels on my bike are garbage. I've got about 3000 miles or more on them, and they're still true. They're also very light and they don't have the bling of Mavic wheels.
Opinions vary, but your body will tell you which one will be a better ride for you. A good bike shop will also explain this to you. yes, they'll typically have a "push" brand that they really want to sell, but if they're a truly reputable shop, they'll focus on what will be best for you.
Oh, show this post to your cycling group, I'd love to hear their comments.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahaha well they told me the geometry isn't for racing and that I'd look like a post man on it...
Pros race on the 6.9, not on the 4.5 which is the low end of the serie so i thought they'd purpusly make it a bit (a lot?) less efficient. Please contradict me :p
Confort is my last priority. I want something super responsive, nervous, something that doesn't feel like it's crushing under me while I'm climbing if you see what i mean.
I pedal very fast (90 rpm +) all the time (climbing/flats/TTs) so is it important for the frame to be very rigid (unless for sprinting maybe?) or considering my velocity will I not see a difference between a Dogma and a Roubaix for example ?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Tembo said:
Ahaha well they told me the geometry isn't for racing and that I'd look like a post man on it...
Pros race on the 6.9, not on the 4.5 which is the low end of the serie so i thought they'd purpusly make it a bit (a lot?) less efficient. Please contradict me :p
Confort is my last priority. I want something super responsive, nervous, something that doesn't feel like it's crushing under me while I'm climbing if you see what i mean.
I pedal very fast (90 rpm +) all the time (climbing/flats/TTs) so is it important for the frame to be very rigid (unless for sprinting maybe?) or considering my velocity will I not see a difference between a Dogma and a Roubaix for example ?
Good...you know what you are looking for...ride them all, find the one that does this "for you" and buy it.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Tembo said:
I call TROLL. The other giveaway is that you've deduced that you've "reached the limits" of your current bike. That's very, very amusing!

"Comfort on a bike" has nothing to do with racy-vs.-upright position. To say, "is the bike comfortable?" is not in any way related to a statement like, "I want to buy a comfort bike". If you know so little about very basic elements of bicycle fit, this whole discussion is irrelevent. "Comfort" is a simple concept: does. the. bike. fit. YOU? Take some time to educate yourself on the terms used in these discussions. As it is, you just want "the raciest one" without actually understanding that the terminology really means.

That being the case, take Opus's advice and buy the red one. It makes as much sense as any of the other criteria that seem to be important to you.

... and 90rpm is not "very fast". It's well within the range of "normal".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not obsessed with gear, matter a fact I don't give a f***. I'm only after pleasure and performance. I just want what is best for me and my small budget ! And you are right, i don't know much about bikes, but i do know how to bike cause I don't spend more time on forums and internet searching for the best stuff (WAOH Reynolds made wheels 5g lighter than Easton ! Rofl) than training.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Tembo, I'll help you.
Despite what others have said, there is a difference between a race bike, and a sport bike.
Minor changes to geometry will greatly affect handling.
Both bikes can fit you, and you can be comfortable (or not) on either, but one is racey, and one is not.
And you are also correct that a 10 minutes test ride will tell you nothing. If you do your home work, and go to a good shop to get sized, you should never need to test ride a bike.
If you give me 10 minutes i'll look at the geo of the trek, and your Orbea, and let you know the difference between the two geo's and how the bikes will differ.

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Tembo said:
I wasn't presuming anything, but I now presume you never read my first post since you'r telling me to ride both. There is no both, I'm interested in a bike and I want to know if it's a racing bike or an old fart bike ( Spe Roubaix for example).
And eventually, if someone rode, rides or knows a better bike for the same price or less (not some chineese ****) I'll happily grab the info.
Thank You !
My apologies if I interpreted:

"...the Madone 4.5 seems cool BUT my club mates told me it's more of a Sunday rider's bike than a racing bike. They advised me a Scott Addict R3 but I've had breaking echos of that model"

to mean you were considering either a Madone or a Scott Addict. In that case, it's even easier. Stop listening to what your mates say and decide for yourself what kind of bike the Madone is. But before you do that, you should decide once and for all what you're really looking for. You say you want a "racing bike" rather than "an old fart bike" like a Roubaix...yet in your most recent post you say you are "only after pleasure and performance". You say you want what is best for you. No one here can tell you that.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Can't find the Orbea geo anywhere.
But I did have a look at the Trek geo.
I would not call that a relaxed fit bike, but I wouldn't call it a race bike either. It's kind of in the middle. The head tube is a good 1.5cm longer than I would want it, and the wheel base is a titch long due to the stays. Not a huge difference than what I would consider a good wheelbase to be racey. Head and seat tube angles are both resonable. I would think that if you slammed the stem on top of the headset that you would have no trouble acheiving a racey position.
The bike is deffo raceable, but is it the right bike for you? You decide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mtbbmet said:
Can't find the Orbea geo anywhere.
But I did have a look at the Trek geo.
I would not call that a relaxed fit bike, but I wouldn't call it a race bike either. It's kind of in the middle. The head tube is a good 1.5cm longer than I would want it, and the wheel base is a titch long due to the stays. Not a huge difference than what I would consider a good wheelbase to be racey. Head and seat tube angles are both resonable. I would think that if you slammed the stem on top of the headset that you would have no trouble acheiving a racey position.
The bike is deffo raceable, but is it the right bike for you? You decide.
Thanks a lot for your comment, very helpful !
Besides that anyone knows about TCT carbon ? Decent reliable stuff or not ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And is it possible to get a full carbon racey bike for $2000 or i'll always be getting something between ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
For what its worth, I don't think you would regret getting the 4.5

If you compare the geometry vs the 6.9, they're almost identical. Same wheelbase, seat angle and head angle.

That said I think the 5.1 might be more interesting, with Sram rival and the Bontrager Race wheels.

And I would definitely rather ride a Madone, than a Scott anything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Who were the old farts that finished 1st and 2nd in the TDF? I remember them riding Roubaix` during the cobblestone section of the course. A bike is only a race bike if you race it. Pick the best one for you and go enjoy. Madones are nice rides though. Frames are supposed to be the same carbon as the higher end models just different components.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Ok, I will contradict you! The setup is virtually identical to older racing bikes of theirs. But I guess your buddies are right, No one here but you knows anything about bikes. It's all what the marketing tells you, not the facts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts