Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what are the characteristics of Specialized, Fuji, Bianchi, Cannondale, Orbea, and Trek. I own a Fuji and find that it favors a little more upright riding, while a Specialized to me seems to stretch you out over the frame. What I want to know is what are the characteristics of the bikes I mentioned, such as how do they handle in general, how responsive are they, how twitchy are they, and so on and so forth. I know each model is a bit different from another, but usually geometry of each frame is about the same per company because of in many cases tradition. I would also like to know what are the basic characteristics of a Fuji, because I have never been able to really go for a good ride on anything else, and would like to know if I am riding a twitchy or stable bike, with sloppy or quick handling.

(I know this is a broad topic, so just tell me what you know and don't complain about how my question is too vague, and that it should be more specific, Thanks)

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Your question is too vague, you should be more specific. Hah.

Seriously, what do you want? Especially since you mention manufacturers, and nearly ALL of the majors, instead of particular models. The Specialized Tarmac is a high-strung race bike, the Roubaix is more laid back; ditto with the C'dale Six13 / System 6 vs Synapse.

"Upright" versus "stretched out" is largely going to be a factor of reach -- your stem length, rise, number of spacers, shape of bars, etc.

"twitchy," responsive, etc., can be traced to things like vertical vs. lateral stiffness, wheelbase, chainstay length, fork rake, etc., etc.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Again

I already said this, tell me what you know please don't tell me I need to be more specific. If you own a bunch of Bianchi's tell me what you see in common with them, the same for Orbea, Fuji, and all the rest. Or to break it down more simply what characteristics seem to be purely Euro vs. the rest of the world. This little thread could be helpful to me and to others that are interested in buying a new bike, so try to make it so.

Thanks

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,555 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
I already said this, tell me what you know please don't tell me I need to be more specific. If you own a bunch of Bianchi's tell me what you see in common with them, the same for Orbea, Fuji, and all the rest. Or to break it down more simply what characteristics seem to be purely Euro vs. the rest of the world. This little thread could be helpful to me and to others that are interested in buying a new bike, so try to make it so.

Thanks
Most bikes:

-Have 2 wheels, and pneumatic tires
-1 seat, or not
-some frame, of some type, w/ some arbitrary ride quality
-some bearings, somewhere-they're usually a good thing
-often times, some gear changing mechanism or not
-pedals can be helpful IMO
-handlebars are often encouraged

IME IMHO TIA HTH FWIW NTTAWWT TANSTAAFL

· Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Most bikes:

-Have 2 wheels, and pneumatic tires
-1 seat, or not
-some frame, of some type, w/ some arbitrary ride quality
-some bearings, somewhere-they're usually a good thing
-often times, some gear changing mechanism or not
-pedals can be helpful IMO
-handlebars are often encouraged

IME IMHO TIA HTH FWIW NTTAWWT TANSTAAFL

Back downstairs ya moreon. :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
I already said this, tell me what you know please don't tell me I need to be more specific.

Thanks
A little tip....making demands will get you very little help...Try being a little more specific like what kind of ride you are looking for and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
It's like asking what the differences are between a Toyota, Honda and Ford -- with no regard to whether you're wondering about a compact, SUV, mid-size or hybrid. The differences between models can be more pronounced than any differences between the manufacturers.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok

Well, in the case of Ford they're made in the U.S. for the most part and I own a Focus which is a small car, but peppy. The thing has very good handleing and a fairly spacious interior. See own a Ford Focus therefore I said things about the car yes vague, but really I'm only looking for vague answers. What determines what I would buy is on feel of a test ride not on what you guys said the are characteristics are. If this is too hard for guys to figure out then fine don't respond. If you just so happen to own an Allez and a Roubaix well then say hey Specialized for me is like this.

· limit screwed
807 Posts
So, you want highly subjective impressions of our bike characteristics?

I have 3 bikes. My Trek 830 doesn't feel right, because I bought it when I was 12, and I now have about 10 inches of seat post showing. However, the handling is stiff and quick, but it rides harshly; back then beginner mountain bikes came with rigid steel forks. It has nice flat pedals, with metal teeth for good grip.

My Orbea road bike is light and very quick handling, but sometimes when I jerk the bars from side to side while riding, it sets up a bit of a shimmy. I do not like this characteristic; it forces me to ride in a normal manner. It has a carbon rear triangle. I've read that this does something, but I can't tell what. It probably makes me faster.

My Raleigh single-speed has quick handling; this is because there is less weight on the bars due to a lack of shifters, certainly not any specific handling characteristic such as head tube angle, fork rake, trail, or offset. It's made of steel, so it is, in fact, Real. Feels the fastest of any of my bikes, but really isn't.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
I own a Cannondale T2000 and a Cannondale Synapse Carbon.

They are completely and utterly different bikes, having little to do with each other besides the name on the side and sharing Ultegra components.

Since we're on the topic of cars, is a Ford Expedition also peppy with good handling?

In all seriousness, if you want to learn more about individual bikes and manufacturers, look at the reviews. There's a lot more information than a person can encapsulate in a message board posting. If Bianchi is your interest, you can start here:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/PLS_5668_660crx.aspx

· Registered
656 Posts
for starters....

i heard recently that european "racing" frames are typically more comfortable than american frames of similar design. the theory is that european builders design their frames with the assumption that riders will be doing longer rides or even stage races on them, whereas most american races are criteriums which are shorter. sooooo, the european frames are made to be comfortable for extended periods of time, while the american frames are made to be as aero/efficient as possible over shorter periods of time, with sacrificed comfort.

not sure if there is any basis at all for any of this, but it sounded logical to me. something to chew on, no?

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
The last Specialized I rode was a 1995 Rockhopper Comp. It was steel, had no suspension and was a bit too large for me (bought it before I understood the notion of "fit".)

It was a pretty smooth ride and I liked it well enough. I used to fall over frequently though because I was riding in running shoes and they'd get caught in the toe straps. Fell over twice one time in front of this attractive woman who was down in the Bosque filming a public service spot. Felt like an idiot, but she didn't laugh. At least no while I was there.

I've not ridden any of the others, but I'm sure they're all wonderful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.