Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share this cleaning tip:

On yesterday's group ride, one of the riders had a chain-suck incident, and as you might expect his hands got pretty messy getting his chain un-jammed. I happened to have in my saddle bag a hand cleaner wipe called Grease Monkey that I got as a sample at some event I did years ago. They were supposed to carry them at Home Depot, but I picked up these "Grime Boss" wipes instead. They do a really good job at wiping down the bike as well as cleaning your hands, so I put a few in a ziplock baggie and tossed it in the saddle bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
Baby wipes are just as good. Wipe the bike down after a ride, shoes, helmet, clean the hands after bike maintenance, easy as.

baby wipes arent just useful for bike maintenance (and babies) either, those suckers will clean almost anything!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I carry a few single packs of generic hand wipes. They work great! I also carry 2 surgical style gloves. Between both products they take up almost no space and weigh practically nothing.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baby wipes are just as good. Wipe the bike down after a ride, shoes, helmet, clean the hands after bike maintenance, easy as.

baby wipes arent just useful for bike maintenance (and babies) either, those suckers will clean almost anything!
I do use baby wipes before each ride to clean my crotch prior to applying chamois cream.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Instead of wipes, how about a pair of latex or neoprene gloves?

When you remove the gloves, peel off one, and crumple it up in the other hand. Peel off the other glove and all the dirt and grime will be safe from soiling anything else as you stash it in your jersey or seat bag for the ride home.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts

When you remove the gloves, peel off one, and crumple it up in the other hand. Peel off the other glove and all the dirt and grime will be safe from soiling anything else as you stash it in your jersey or seat bag for the ride home.
You work in healthcare right?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I like to throw a few cases worth of them into the New York City sewer system whenever I visit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/n...the-new-york-city-sewer-system-says-dont.html
Flushing them causes plumbing crisis.. That's bad. Throwing them out cases landfill issues... Very different kind of issue. Since the deep water horizon I'm pretty hardened to Eco impact. I used to stress every time I fired a two stroke... Now? Who gives a F. Was it a million barrels a minute? An hour? Who cares... Our behavior is completely irrelevant. Recycling that doesn't include large scale industrial recycling is a fools folly.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I do use baby wipes before each ride to clean my crotch prior to applying chamois cream.
How about an alcohol prep pad?

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
I carry a few single packs of generic hand wipes. They work great! I also carry 2 surgical style gloves. Between both products they take up almost no space and weigh practically nothing.
Man, I'd like to watch you guys as you handle a bike when you have a mechanical. I NEVER touch the chain with my hands. No need at all when you have to remove the rear wheel for a flat, and you can get the chain unstuck or put back on the chain ring just by using the toe of your shoe. After changing a flat I wash off the "tire dirt" with a little squirt from my water bottle.

I'm just amazed when I see someone immediately grab the chain any time they get near the back wheel.

·
Registered
20,781 Posts
I happened to have in my saddle bag a hand cleaner wipe called Grease Monkey that I got as a sample at some event I did years ago.
A lot of bike shops will have the Grease Monkey wipe packages. You can get them from Amazon pretty cheap.
Amazon.com: Grease Monkey Wipes Individual Heavy Duty Multi Purpose Cleaning Wipes (Box of 24): Sports & Outdoors

Another trick I use is I keep my spare tube wrapped in an old sock. Helps keep the tube from rubbing inside the saddle bag. And can be worn as a glove if you need to grab the chain. Can also be used as emergency T.P. if you can't find a bathroom.

I'm just amazed when I see someone immediately grab the chain any time they get near the back wheel.
I just cringe when I see that.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
OK. Here is something I stumbled across personally: the best item I've found to take bike grease and grime off your hands: a used Dryer Sheet.
I was working on a drivetrain in the garage, hands totally black. I didn't want to touch the doorknob to go in the house, and saw a antistatic sheet on the shelf. completely clean in moments. You don't even need to wet them. Repurpose!

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts

^^^This ^^^^
I always have a box of nitrile gloves in the garage for bike and car maintenance, painting, or any other tasks that are messy. A always have a couple in my seat pack.

I've found these to be excellent. They don't tear very easy like others. Amazon.com: Microflex SU690XL Supreno SE Powder Free Nitrile Glove Size Extra Large (100 per Box): Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
^^^This ^^^^
I always have a box of nitrile gloves in the garage for bike and car maintenance, painting, or any other tasks that are messy. A always have a couple in my seat pack.

I've found these to be excellent. They don't tear very easy like others. Amazon.com: Microflex SU690XL Supreno SE Powder Free Nitrile Glove Size Extra Large (100 per Box): Industrial & Scientific
I use nitrile gloves for all those tasks, too (and dishwashing). I just buy them at the drugstore, but maybe I'll try this brand if they're really tougher.

·
Registered
752 Posts
OK. Here is something I stumbled across personally: the best item I've found to take bike grease and grime off your hands: a used Dryer Sheet.
I was working on a drivetrain in the garage, hands totally black. I didn't want to touch the doorknob to go in the house, and saw a antistatic sheet on the shelf. completely clean in moments. You don't even need to wet them. Repurpose!
And not once were you concerned about the chemicals on them that are released onto your nice clean clothes when the go in the drier.

:D :eek: :D :D

They also make pretty good dust rags, however I suggest using them in the drier first, get some of the chemical feel off of them.

:thumbsup:

EEC

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Speaking of Costco, you can get a lifetime supply of wipes for not much. I keep a package in my desk and wipe off after I ride in. They work great both on and off the bike.

Note the instructions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts