Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my first ride, only 23 miles but some serious hills, heavens opened up and me and the bike got drenched. Goretex jacket was good investment but feet got drenched so I've ordered goretex overboots too. Anyway I've hosed the bike down to get the loose stuff off and will dry off with a cloth but should I lube everything everytime or just every now and again? I've seen some guys on here have an old bike for using in the wet, is getting the bike drenched on a regular basis really that bad for it?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Your drivetrain will pick up a lot of grit in the rain. Pay close attention to the chain, get it as dry as possible, and clean it several times using whatever chainlube you use and clean shop towels.
When one of my bikes gets wet, I don't ever use a hose to clean it. I usually wipe it down right after the ride and that gets all the surface water and most of the dirt off without forcing water into the bearings in the headset, wheels, and crankset. If something is really dirty, I spray a little of the orange based cleaner I use on the frame or on a paper towel and use it to remove the dirt/grease.
If you live somewhere that gets a lot of rain and you can't avoid riding in it, you may want to consider a "rain bike", sure beats all the wear on your best ride.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just hose it off, and then dry and relube the chain. As long as you don't use high pressure, cleaning your bike with a hose should be fine. The main culprit isn't the rainwater but the grit that the rainwater causes to be kicked up off the road. Dealing with this in the summer is so much easier than in the winter when it might be too cold to get the hose out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.