Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bike computer(s) for tandem

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rgauss1813 
#1 ·
My wife and I are replacing our tandem after 25 years. One of the many innovations since our last purchase is the advent of gps bike computers.
My question is what is the optimal setup for a tandem? My wife (stoker) does most of the navigation, but I (captain) like to have at least gears and speed constantly visible.
Should we both have computers, or is there a better way to solve for this?
Thanks!

#2 ·
I am unaware of any models that have dual displays. A big caution on "gears". That would mean a Di2 or SRAM electronic shifting system that can via BlueTooth send a signal to the head unit as to what gear you are in. No mechanical system does that. As well if desiring a Hammerhead Karoo 2 unit, know that Hammerhead (owned by SRAM) is in a dispute with Shimano who has essentially told Hammerhead they can no longer allow the BT connection from the Di2 system to the (newly purchased) head unit. Garmin and Wahoo computers can still connect and you can get gear and battery info.

Be aware these things ain't cheap. A basic navigating GPS with a decent sized touchscreen is the Garmin Edge Explore. Designed more for touring amd doesnt have a Di2 connection or do performance stuff like workouts, intervals, etc.... runs $250. A GPS that does Di2 in a smaller form than the Explore is an Edge 830, I think the run about $400. Or a 530 at $250 or so, or a Wahoo Bolt. The"Cadillac" of them all is the new Edge 1040 Solar, big screen, has solar charging, latest software, 45 hr. battery life (twice anything else), and runs $750.

#8 ·
I am unaware of any models that have dual displays. A big caution on "gears". That would mean a Di2 or SRAM electronic shifting system that can via BlueTooth send a signal to the head unit as to what gear you are in. No mechanical system does that. As well if desiring a Hammerhead Karoo 2 unit, know that Hammerhead (owned by SRAM) is in a dispute with Shimano who has essentially told Hammerhead they can no longer allow the BT connection from the Di2 system to the (newly purchased) head unit. Garmin and Wahoo computers can still connect and you can get gear and battery info.

Be aware these things ain't cheap. A basic navigating GPS with a decent sized touchscreen is the Garmin Edge Explore. Designed more for touring amd doesnt have a Di2 connection or do performance stuff like workouts, intervals, etc.... runs $250. A GPS that does Di2 in a smaller form than the Explore is an Edge 830, I think the run about $400. Or a 530 at $250 or so, or a Wahoo Bolt. The"Cadillac" of them all is the new Edge 1040 Solar, big screen, has solar charging, latest software, 45 hr. battery life (twice anything else), and runs $750.
As far as dual displays are concerned, computers that function on 2.4ghz like Cateye Strada digital wireless will permit multiple heads to pair with the sensor. Doesn’t address the gear readout though (back to the bead on the cable). Practically irrelevant nowadays, nearly everyone’s running some sort of GPS.

#3 ·
My wife and I are replacing our tandem after 25 years.

My wife (stoker) does most of the navigation, but I (captain) like to have at least gears and speed constantly visible.
Are you saying you've been displaying gears on your current tandem? How?

There's no GPS that offers dual screens. So you're going to need two units. You could do a nice large navigation unit for your wife.
And for you just to see speed details, there are cheap units with standard bike details. Speed, Distance, Time, etc for $30 - $50

If you really need to see Di2 gear info as mentioned above, I think the LEZYNE Super Pro is the cheapest unit that'll do that. $150

#4 ·
Are you saying you've been displaying gears on your current tandem? How?

There's no GPS that offers dual screens. So you're going to need two units. You could do a nice large navigation unit for your wife.
And for you just to see speed details, there are cheap units with standard bike details. Speed, Distance, Time, etc for $30 - $50

If you really need to see Di2 gear info as mentioned above, I think the LEZYNE Super Pro is the cheapest unit that'll do that. $150
this is how I read the gearing on my tandem. I don’t think that they are made any longer but might find some on e-bay. Mine is a 10spd group, works on 9/10spd.
for those unaware: captain can’t really see the gearing way back there, so for efficient shifting and to keep your stoker happy, you can’t afford to lose track of where you are on the cassette.
Bicycle Cyclocomputer Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.