Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am bout to purchase my first road bike ('09 TCR Advanced) and am wondering what kinda of computer I should put on it? I am money limited. I already have GPS/HR monitor I use running so my main concern is cadence and general milage tracking. (Isn't cadence a important factor to monitor? Trying to train for a triathlon)

Thanks for any info.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Cadence is nice, but since I got my Garmin I removed my computer and just use it. And I don't really miss cadence. And I definitely don't miss the cadence thingymabobber messing with my bike's aesthetics.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I dont know what I need to monitor. I just know coming from a mtn I am not used to spinning at speed. I figured cadence would be something I would need to watch till I can figure out what it should feel like then just wing it.

A garmin would be nice though......no way I am swing that right now

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
For me the #1 requirement of a bike computer is that it doesn't break. There are precious few models that satisfy this requirement. I therefore use a Cateye wireless micro computer which I promise will last many years. It doesn't have cadence and it needs new batteries every year, but it is built tough! You can find them for around $30-35 shipped online.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I use the Cateye Micro Wireless on both my bikes. Just basic functions. I did have one that had the display freeze. I guess if I saved the receipt I could have sent it back to Cateye and they would have replaced it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
+1 for the Cateye Wireless. Pretty unobtrusive. Really easy to setup and use and hasn't had a hiccup yet. Can be found pretty cheap too.

·
Part of Murphy's Law
149 Posts
ddhartzell said:
Hey I am bout to purchase my first road bike ('09 TCR Advanced) and am wondering what kinda of computer I should put on it? I am money limited. I already have GPS/HR monitor I use running so my main concern is cadence and general milage tracking. (Isn't cadence a important factor to monitor? Trying to train for a triathlon)

Thanks for any info.

if your GPS/HR monitor is garmin, you can add their speed/cadence sensor. i think i got my on amazon for about $35. i like it. you can turn off the gps function if you have bad satellite connection.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1266

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
CatEye wirleless in first place of my considerations...how does it's sensor mount on the fork?

My '08 Trek Fork already has a sensor mount...anybody knows if it's compatible?

Also, has anybody used Trek Brand Computers?

Found a Topeak with 12 features...interested in it too..anybody use one?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The $200 iBike iSport. Reasonably accurate and well built. There is no reason now to buy a bike computer without power feedback. It is just so useful at helping you improve your biking performance.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Dinosaur said:
I use the Cateye Micro Wireless on both my bikes. Just basic functions. I did have one that had the display freeze. I guess if I saved the receipt I could have sent it back to Cateye and they would have replaced it.
Hay Dino,

Try contacting their warranty dept. and then let us know what (if anything) they do for you.

http://knowledgebase.cateye.com/contact.php

Here's something I found on another forum:

froze10-21-05, 10:37 PM
That's the same kind of service I got from them when my wireless sending unit failed.
They sent me a new sending unit 1 year AFTER the warranty expired for FREE, and I got it in 3 days!

I only wish all companies had Cateye's superbe customer service.
Because of that superbe customer service, I won't even consider another brand for a computer or tail light.

Good luck,

2G

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my GPS/HR is a Timex bodylink and as far as I can tell, they don't sell a cadence sensor.

For the Cateye users:

How is accuracy? The cateye I had on my mtb was about 4 mph off my gps when up around 20 mph and the distance difference was bigger the longer I went (would make sense since speed off). I think I was do to the fact that the lbs just threw it on when I bought the bike. R they hard to setup up or calibrate?

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
ddhartzell said:
my GPS/HR is a Timex bodylink and as far as I can tell, they don't sell a cadence sensor.

For the Cateye users:

How is accuracy? The cateye I had on my mtb was about 4 mph off my gps when up around 20 mph and the distance difference was bigger the longer I went (would make sense since speed off). I think I was do to the fact that the lbs just threw it on when I bought the bike. R they hard to setup up or calibrate?
Question:

You sure the Cateye was off and not the GPS?

I'd think that the Cateye which is directly connected "to" the bike would have given you a better "real time" reading of your actual speed than your GPS which depends on a signal bouncing back and forth between you and a satellite, right?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it could have been the GPS. I have had pretty good luck with it tracking in the woods and checked it against my truck odometer (I know not pin point accurate) but pretty close. The reason I think it was the cateye was that I slid the magnet up or down the spoke and the reading changed, which I assumed it would have but I watched it installed and over heard "yeah that looks about right" as far as placement. I never saw any measuring. I am assuming the placement is what makes the calibration difference. I never had the instructions and didn't look online for proper set up since I was using the gps anyways.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
ddhartzell said:

For the Cateye users:

Double, then triple check to make sure the correct tire size is selected when you're setting up the cyclocomputer. If you lift the bike, spin the wheel, and the computer is giving you a speed, it should be working just fine. That said, if the numbers are off, my bet would be incorrect tire size setting.
-Chris

P.S. I have the CatEye Strada Cadence - I really like it. The only problem is I don't particularly like the wire running from the stem all the back back to the chainstay - it's kind of a pain in the arse :-/

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
It makes no difference where you place the sensor. One rotation is one rotation. In order for the computer to give you accurate info, you do have to tell it the correct tire circumference. If you don't follow the instructions, yes the readings will be off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.