Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Integrated Cyclist
95 Posts
badder2 said:
Thought I would give RBR Forum members a chance to weigh-in on the bike bashing on Fark.com today.

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=3759247
This is choice:

sorhed 2008-07-25 01:07:03 PM
I love bikes and all (biked to work today on my vintage Trek) but bike couriers are a danger to all.

I once a bike courier ding my car with his lock because he unsuccessfully tried to cut in between me and the curb while I was CLEARLY making a right.

So I dinged his bike with my car.
I had this happen to me once. I was traveling straight and someone passed me and proceeded to turn right directly in front of me. I could see how an ignorant ass driver could think I tried to make a right turn with them as I had no choice but to do a hard right in a addition to bouncing off their car to "assist" my turn.

That was in college. Now I NEVER yield the lane at an intersection ... DEAD CENTER.

BTW everybody, watch out for Bob Novak. If he hates pedestrians and runs them down, just imagine what he think of cyclists.

· Registered
332 Posts
I'm not a big fan of fixies. I was considering building one up, but... no. Just... no. I've nearly piled up with noobs who forgot to pedal through a turn, or skidded/attempted to coast out of habit. Not fun.

I don't have much to say about messengers though, since I don't encounter them much. Hopefully whatever they need to get from A to B is important enough to justify every nerve-wracking thing they do.

· Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
padawan716 said:
I'm not a big fan of fixies. I was considering building one up, but... no. Just... no. I've nearly piled up with noobs who forgot to pedal through a turn, or skidded/attempted to coast out of habit. Not fun.

I don't have much to say about messengers though, since I don't encounter them much. Hopefully whatever they need to get from A to B is important enough to justify every nerve-wracking thing they do.
You don't have to ride a bike like a jackass in order to enjoy a fixed-gear.

As for messengers, when you're making money only off of commission, you're going to try to get those deliveries out. Yes, many messengers do run lights, which is illegal, unsafe, and doesn't do much for cyclist-driver relations. But, unfortunately, that's the name of the game.

I know, and know of, tons of messengers and it's a job for the brave and young. I played messenger yesterday in downtown Chicago, as I had to deliver batches of checks to a bunch of different non-profit youth groups that I administer to. Surprisingly enough, the riding wasn't half bad, but I could tell that if I did it long enough, I was going to catch a cab's hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.