Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year old road bike - carbon frame/fork/seatpost, Dura-Ace components, Mavic Aksium wheels

My bike is creaking when I stand up and sway the bike from side to side. This happens with or without pedaling so I don't think it has anything to do with the bb. I thought the creak was coming from my wheels, so I changed out my skewers and it's actually helping. Any suggestions on what this could be? Could it really just be the skewers? If so, what about the skewers would cause this creaking?

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
I would grease the skewer shaft of the QR and replace it. Flex and a dry skewer can cause a creak under lateral loading. Also check your bearings for adequate lubrication. Finally check your pedals and BB for the same, grease the threads, check the bearings.

All culprits of lateral loading creaks IME.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Diagnosis

joahoffm said:
My bike is creaking when I stand up and sway the bike from side to side. This happens with or without pedaling so I don't think it has anything to do with the bb. I thought the creak was coming from my wheels, so I changed out my skewers and it's actually helping. Any suggestions on what this could be? Could it really just be the skewers? If so, what about the skewers would cause this creaking?
It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have to yield to the thoroughness of Mr. Irons and the other posters, but let me add--

It's hard to tell where a noise is coming from. Might be possible to ride a bike on rollers while a pal listens and localizes the noise, maybe using a mechanic's stethescope.

I had a creak in my mountain bike a while back. Thought it was the spokes, so I tightened the spokes and even put lube where they crossed. Then I decided it was the bottom bracket. Nope.

Turned out to be the seat rails, which were not clamped down tight.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Clicks and creaks are hard to trace, you think it is coming from X and it is actually coming from Y. I have had more clicks with my carbon bike then I've had with my old trusty steel. One click was coming from my rear wheel (spokes). Another was the hub (pawls), then the Ultra torque outer bearings, then my seatpost and now my saddle. Not all at the same time. You are better off doing one thing at a time as if you do everything at once you won't know which one fixed it...must be something about carbon and vibration. I was riding once and I thought my driveline was making a loud noise. I stopped and discovered my saddle had slipped back and the bolt needed to be tightened. It sure sounded like a chain problem, but it was coming from something else..

I imagine there are a lot of clicks and creaks in a pro peloton..

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm going through this right now. I get creaks at what seems like the same points in the pedal revolution (downstroke of each side) when I'm seated and pedaling. When I stop pedaling, it stops. When I stand and pedal, it continues faintly for a couple of revolutions, then fades away. Suggestions or trial and error greasing/lubing/waxing?

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
kupe said:
I'm going through this right now. I get creaks at what seems like the same points in the pedal revolution (downstroke of each side) when I'm seated and pedaling. When I stop pedaling, it stops. When I stand and pedal, it continues faintly for a couple of revolutions, then fades away. Suggestions or trial and error greasing/lubing/waxing?

Start with a quick check of the stem and bars. Check tightness, remove face plate and check for dirt, re-torque. Loosen stem do the same, check headset bearings, re-lube headset, reassemble and re-torque. Check cable stops at head tube, remove housing without loosening cables, clean and put a spot of lube in cable stops, reconnect.

Try to make it creak.

If creaking, then pull BB and cranks, clean, lube, re-assemble. Ditto for the pedals. Finally check water bottle bolts too and seat post to frame and seat to post connections for lube and cleanliness.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Sounds like a crank or bottom bracket

kupe said:
Try removing your chain ring bolts and re-lubing them. I have Campy Ultra Torque and the outer bearings needed to be greased (guess this needs to be done a couple times a year). Could also be from your pedals, remove them and grease the spindles.

Don't count out your saddle, does it happen when you are standing or only sitting? Pull off your saddle, seatpost, clean everything up and reinstall. Some say to put lube on your rails, but if I do that my saddle will slip.

I got a clicking sound a few days ago. Happened when I was almost home. The next day it got worse. It is coming from my old Airone saddle. It is breaking down. Very loud click, it sure sounded like a chain problem..it only made a noise when I was sitting. If I press down on the saddle it will click and creak..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well I'm glad I didn't tear into what I thought it was. It was simply either my water bottle cage bolts or the plastic face plates on my Ultegra pedals. I'm soooo glad I didn't tear into my bottom bracket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.