Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering what other people would choose between these two bikes. I ride a C59 now and was thinking the C60 is probably not much of an upgrade where the R5 is very light and has sharp handling. Rode both bikes was pretty impressed with the R5. The C60 liked as well who wouldn't. I have read reviews on the R5 and they seemed to be highly regarded as well as the C60. My thoughts R5: light, handles good, climbs well, stiff, looks are plain, lifetime warranty on frame, dislike bbright system. C60: handles very good, heavy, looks great, like bb system, resale value, nice long distance rider, comfortable, very durable and has an excellent track record for safety ( recalls). What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
ugh you make it sound like the R5 is a race bike while the C60 is gramp's tourer. Let's remember there are Pro tour guys racing with the C60, and not it's not heavy.

If it were me, I'd pass them both. It'll be a sidegrade.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, C60 great bike but different compared to R5. Definitely do not think its gramps bike R5 just climbed different probably due to weight difference. I've rode Colnagos for 20 something years starting with Master so I know about there magical ride!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Wow. That's a tough choice. Fortunately, you can't go too wrong, just depends on what's more important to you. I've got an R5 and my wife rides a C60. The C60 is definitely a more aesthetically appealing bike - the most beautiful paint jobs ever. The R5 is... plain. It's performance definitely deserves a snazzier appearance. You're right the R5 is one of the best handling, fastest accelerating, and lightest bikes I've ever ridden. It also descends VERY well. It's got a very noticeably "springy" ride - a very tightly wound spring. It's a little jittery over bumpy or uneven pavement and requires more attention that other bikes I've ridden to keep it in a straight line at least in part due to its springiness.

I've only ridden my wife's bike around the block etc. as it's 2 sizes smaller than what I ride. It also handles very well and seems a bit smoother, but I haven't really ridden it over rough pavement or done long descents. It definitely accelerates well also and really isn't what I'd call "heavy" by any stretch. Given how stiff it is at the bottom-bracket, it has a surprisingly smooth ride. My wife likes to sprint and the C60 definitely suits this proclivity.

If I had to draw a comparison to race cars, I'd say the R5 is probably more like Formula 1 car vs. the C60 more of a GT racer. Both extremely quick and nimble just different types of refinement. But again, you really can't go wrong with either bike.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
c-60 is the better bike between the two, but its not going to ride tons differently than a c-59. a drop stiffer perhaps and whether or not you prefer it over the c-59 will be a matter of personal taste. A cervelo is not an upgrade in my opinion and maybe a downgrade. My thoughts are you are simply bored with your current bike. If it was me and i had bike dollars to burn i'd fly away some place and ride for a week or two in france, spain or italy. just did that myself actually spending a week in girona with campo bicicleta blasting up rocacorba or at least going up it faster than i did last year.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your right Trek_5200 probably bored with my current ride. This is what started my search for a new bike have had C59 for about 4 years now. Frame is electronic only. Built with EPS V1 Campy but have had nothing but issues with it. 1 rear deer. failure, 1PU failure, and 2 front der. failures. The last front der failure was a month before 3 yr warranty was up Campy warranted it but the one they sent me only lasted 2 months and now warranty has expired. Campy will not do a good faith replacement so I refuse to purchase anything Campy electronic, frame is only electronic so only option is SRAM or Di2. Been riding Campy 20 something years all tools and wheels are Campy. I really wanted to ditch Campy because of lack of customer service but have decided to go mechanical with my next frame hence the new frame. Definitely don't have money to burn but have been pushed to make a decision. So, Campy mechanical with new frame able to accept mechanical, or electronic (wired, wireless). Not a big fan of SRAM etap rode it was not impressed with it. Have my frame choice narrowed to R5, C60, rode BMC SLR01 Teammachine, etc. OldChipper thanks for the reviews very thoughtful.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Got my C-59 june of 2013. i went a different route last august and picked up a gravel bike figuring it would be good for off road and winter two things the colnago does not excel at

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay here is the finished product for the R5 I decided to go with.
FrameSet: Cervelo R5 56CM
Groupset: Mechanical Campy SR
Seat: Seller SMP Carbon Lite
Seat Post: FSA KForce SB25
Brakes: Campy SR
Wheels: Campy Bora Ultra 35 Clincher
Tires: 25C Michelin Power Competition
Bars: Fizik Cyrano 42 "00" Bull
Stem: Fizik Cyrano R1
Brakes: Campy SR w/ Campy Carbon Red Pads
Bartape: LizardSkin DSP 2.5
Crankset: Campy SR 175mm 53-39
BB Cups: Campy Ultra-Torque EPS BBright
Cassette: Campy SR 11-23
Pedals: SpeedPlay Zero Titanium
Cycle Computer: Sigma BC 23.16 STS
Bottle Cage: Elite Vico Carbon
Weight: 14 lbs 11oz (6662 gr.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
From the rear cassette configuration it looks like you don't intend to use the bike for climbing. You originally mentioned climbing but 11-23 sounds like criterium racing on flat terrain and combined with a 53-39 climbs over 10% gradient will not be practical

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand what you mean with the cassette size but I like to struggle when I go up I ride like a masher not a spinner on flat roads and the same on hills. One hill I do is 17% its ugly climbing but I get it done. I have always used a 11-23 tried a 11-25 could not get use to the gearing probably needed more time been ridding 11-23 my whole cycling life. I have objectives I need to hit for rpm and those objectives are set by the gearing. Maybe in the future I will give bigger cassette another try. I know when I ride Wachusetts Mountain its difficult with the 11-23 but I manage.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
17% can't be long or is it? I'm reminded of European cyclists walking their bikes up Devil's Kitchen back when the Tour De Trump was held. The ratios wouldn't support the 24% max gradient.

Enjoy the bike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts