Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any general thoughts on how much bikes depreciate over the years? As an example, what would you think a good price for this would be assuming it's in good condition?

I'm considering picking up a "new" bike and would just like to have maybe a general guideline to follow when scouring eBay and craigslist.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Check that auction site for prices. I would say 50%+ might be a consideration depending on condition. CF...all the more suspicious if it has seen some hard miles. Telltale signs like road rash RD, shift levers, wheel skewers and pedals.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Not at all, judging from the prices people are trying to sell old bikes for on eBay and Craigslist. I swear some of these people think their 25 year-old-bikes are worth than they paid for them, even though the bikes have chipped paint, worn out tires, cheap components, and grimy drivetrains.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Not at all, judging from the prices people are trying to sell old bikes for on eBay and Craigslist. I swear some of these people think their 25 year-old-bikes are worth than they paid for them, even though the bikes have chipped paint, worn out tires, cheap components, and grimy drivetrains.

"trying" is the key word there... of course, many of those selling are prob inflating their asking prices to counter the inevitable lowball offers

· Registered
246 Posts
FatTireFred said:
"trying" is the key word there... of course, many of those selling are prob inflating their asking prices to counter the inevitable lowball offers
yeah. they are "trying". but in the end are they able to sell them at the price they are asking is the main point. i could offer my bike at 4000, but is it gonna sell? no.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
seemana said:
Anyone have any general thoughts on how much bikes depreciate over the years? As an example, what would you think a good price for this would be assuming it's in good condition?

I'm considering picking up a "new" bike and would just like to have maybe a general guideline to follow when scouring eBay and craigslist.
If the bike you linked to sold for more than $1500, i'd be surprised.

No matter how much you pay initially, $15-1800 seems to be about the top. 2005 DA is several generations out of date, the frame is several generations out of date and people don't seem to trust used carbon like they trust used steel.

Personally, I love used bikes. I've got 5 bikes, only one of which was bought new. Great way to get excellent equipment for a huge discount.

So far, the only lemon I've gotten was one bad ultegra brake/shift lever on a merckx. But I wasn't going to use it anyway, so no big deal.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replies. the bike i linked to in the OP was on eBay for $1700 starting bid. it ended without a bid. looks like there are a lot of them out there like that. good news is i don't need a new bike right now, so i can comfortably wait for the right deal. thanks again for all the replies!

· Registered
5,844 Posts
I am seeing a lot of old bikes for sale on eBay lately where the sellers are asking ridiculous prices. You would think that old De Rosas, Colnagos, Merckx, etc. were made of gold not steel. Most of them don't appear to be selling, but the "sellers" are putting a very high Buy-It-Now or set price.

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
There's a bike on eBay right now that interests me. The seller lists the MSRP, which if memory serves is correct. He states what he actually paid, which I have no doubt is legit because it matches, to the dollar, the price a shop quoted me when I was considering this exact same bike five years ago. And finally he specifies a minimum bid that is only 20% less than this figure and concludes his item description by saying, "I'm selling it for less than I paid."

Um ... yeah, dude. That's sorta-kinda the way it works. And be sure to let us know how that whopping 20% markdown on a five-year-old bike works out for you. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.