Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so here's my situation: I'm looking to get back into cycling. Four years ago I rode a Trek 8000 MTB daily back and forth to work and as general transportation. I really enjoyed riding and wished I'd continued doing it however I joined the military and haven't really had time to get back into things. Now I have the time and resources to do it again but I have a problem. I can't testride anything because I'm in Okinawa.

I've used fit calculators on the internet and before I left I visited a LBS and was fitted. (the guy spent about 15 minutes with me checking out a couple different sized bikes.) I'm about 6'3" and have figured something between a 60-62cm frame will fit. I've checked out a couple of frame geometrys on the web and referenced what the fit calculator has given me and a couple of bikes fall into what I've figured out I should ride.

I've never ridden a bicycle that has fit and the closest thing I've ever actually ridden to a road bicycle is a 56cm Tricross which although much too small for me opened my eyes as to what a road bike feels like as compared to a early 90s MTB with 26" slicks. I'm really hooked already!

So I'm debating buying a bicycle. I'd imagine that if I got something that has frame geometrys close to what I should ride that I can adjust as I start riding and I can find where I fit best on it but I still have reservations on spending $1000 on a road bike.

I've tried looking on ebay for a nicer used bike and have come across few nice ~61cm bikes other than some that are closer to collectors items. I've pretty much decided that I'll buy a new entry-level bike and ride it until my riding ability justifies buying something more expensive or even upgrading what I will buy.

So here is where I need some advice -- I'm considering buying a Specialized Allez Comp Double. It's just about my price range, the 62cm frame matches what I think I should ride and seems to have good reviews. Is it unreasonable to assume that buying this bicycle I should be able to enjoy riding it, perhaps switching something like the stem in case I need more reach?

I've also considered other bicycles (Giant OCR/TCR / Felt F75, etc) and am hoping for some advice. About the only thing I can go by is opinion, I'm several thousand miles from a bicycle shop.

Thank you much!
Matt

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
antimatt said:
Is it unreasonable to assume that buying this bicycle I should be able to enjoy riding it, perhaps switching something like the stem in case I need more reach?
The general answer to this is "yes, but." The but comes in asking how long the existing stem is. If it's 100 mm, then going shorter would be a problem, and going longer would just make sense. If it's 130 mm, you would have a hard time finding a longer stem, though 140 mm stems do exist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ha! I am in the exact same situation. I am stationed on Kadena and have been going to sports depot in NAHA. My friend is Japanese and they told her they only carry size small and that they will have to order any other size which will take 4-6 weeks! What shop have you been going to? PM me if you want to get together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts