Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have just gotten back into riding and remember why I loved it so much 20 years ago. I am 46, 5' 10" shorter legs and longer torso type, very beefy 217 lbs. I bought a Fuji Newest 2.0 recently and have ridden it 10 times so far. I went throgh the fit process with my LBS that specializes in road bikes in order to get the right bike. I rode a Fuji Newest 3.0 size L (54 c to t) compact geometry first and it seemed a little big when I first tried it, but I had been riding a smaller 20 year old steel touring type bike. After 10 minutes on it, it felt good, without tweaking anything. The next bike I tried Fuji Newest 2.0 (more expensive but much nicer) was a size M (50cm) same frame design only smaller. The bike guy put me through the exact same fit proceedure and sent me out again (different day) This bike felt good too, and was more the size of the old bike I was riding earlier this year. I bought the smaller bike as it was a better value for only $100 more. After 5 rides 15-22 miles each, I have been tweaking he seat and stem to be the most comfortable. I am looking at comfort here which is why an adjustible stem was desirable as I get back in shape. My goal is to do a century and a 152 mile ride across michigan this year. My comfort position now is the stem about an inch below the seat, the seat raised about 1/2 inch from where it started at the shop and the seat all the way back over 1 inch farther back from the bikeshop fit. Should I have gotten the larger bike?? I also have an opportunity to buy a new Fuji Robaix Pro frame with carbon seat stays, that is a 56cm. The standover is fine, the top tube is 1 inch longer and it looks good. In the old days, I rode a slighly large bike compared to traditional logic and used a slightly shorter stem. With the way bikes are sized today, it is confusing to compare sizes by published data.This time I wanted to "follow the rules" and have the pro fit me but I am now feeling I should have trusted my gut.
Any ideas?

Sorry so long,

Palmer

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I think you should have. Many reasons too: longer distances are more comfortable with a larger size. You mentioned that you have a long torso, which would mean you'd fit the same bike someone 6'0'' probably. I'm 5'11" and ride a 56 w/ a 110 stem.
As you get in shape, you'll feel too cramped on that smaller bike. I know I did when I went with a 54, because a 56 felt too big when I was just starting out.
It sounds to me as if the fitter was trying to fit you for a racing bike vs long distance riding.
What you really want: a compact frame, so you don't encounter stand over issues. You will probably need a 56~57. Start with a shorter stem (maybe 80mm ish), that way as you get back in shape you can get longer. Trying to get a 130mm stem on a 54 will just look silly.
Oh, when it comes to size of a bike, you need to pay attention to the virtual top tube. Actual top tubes with compact frames don't measure accurately. That's why some bikes are listed as M and L vs. size in cm.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Proportions matter more than height, so just knowing you're 5'10" with shorter legs/ longer torso only allows for offering general info/ advice.

Key points of your post are that you're somewhat sensitive to saddle to bar drop (thus the adjustable stem) and IMO compensating for a cramped cockpit by adjusting your saddle 'all the way back'.

Of the three bikes mentioned, the Newest 50 and 54 and the Roubaix Pro in a 56, and generally speaking, I'd think the Newest in a 54 is your best bet. Even though the Roubaix Pro in a 56 has almost the same reach as the 54 Newest, the HT length is about 27mm's shorter, which means (all else being equal) a larger saddle to bar drop and indications are, that doesn't work well for you. This is common with noobs or someone like yourself just getting back into cycling. There are options available to compensate (as there are for the 50cm Newest), but I see an advantage to starting out with a bike sized closer to your needs, out of the box, so to speak.

Discounting the Roubaix Pro and comparing the 50cm and 54cm Newest, reach increases 14mm's, which gets you back about 1/2 of your saddle setback. You still may require a longer stem, but you're at least closer to (what I think is) your reach requirement.

As you mentioned (paraphrasing) sizing is arbitrary now. Even between the two Fuji's the reach is almost the same between the Roubaix in a 56 and Newest in a 54. If you really are short legs/ long torso, then I think compact geo (sloping TT's) does offer some advantage.

I suggest revisiting the LBS, discussing these issues with them and ask that they spend some time fitting you to the 54cm Newest. The initial fit on that bike may not be perfect, but get a good test ride in before making a decision on what way to go.

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I think you're forgetting something PJ, the head tube might be shorter, but hopefully the shop hasn't cut the steerer too short. I still think based on the info, that a 56 would be closer than a 54.
Oh, welcome to the forums!

13,019 Posts
Peanya said:
I think you're forgetting something PJ, the head tube might be shorter, but hopefully the shop hasn't cut the steerer too short. I still think based on the info, that a 56 would be closer than a 54.
Oh, welcome to the forums!
There may be any number of unknowns here. My advice was based on the limited info provided by the OP, bikes geo charts and my experience, so I view it as a best guess.

As I mentioned, the OP should work with his LBS on a remedy.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. The fork on my 50cm Newest is cut long and has the adjustable 100mm stem. As I rode today and tried some standing climing, I was not comfortable, I felt almost tied to the seat with a bungee. I took my longest ride of the year- 25 miles to really get a feeling for the bike. I do feel it is small. I did feel good- no knee or back pain, until tonight and that is normal for me considering my age, weight and lack of coditioning. I will go back to the LBS, I know he will take care of it. I posted because I didn't want to seem like a whiner- I have already been back once with a bad chain, he put on a new better chain than the stock one.

13,019 Posts
Palmer said:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. The fork on my 50cm Newest is cut long and has the adjustable 100mm stem. As I rode today and tried some standing climing, I was not comfortable, I felt almost tied to the seat with a bungee. I took my longest ride of the year- 25 miles to really get a feeling for the bike. I do feel it is small. I did feel good- no knee or back pain, until tonight and that is normal for me considering my age, weight and lack of coditioning. I will go back to the LBS, I know he will take care of it. I posted because I didn't want to seem like a whiner- I have already been back once with a bad chain, he put on a new better chain than the stock one.
Your not being a whiner. You have a right to expect a reputable LBS to reliably size and fit you to a bike. Sure, it's in your best interest to be an educated consumer, but ultimately the onus is on them to get fit right.

Just be clear in explaining how you feel on the bike, take a proactive approach during your visit, and whatever bike you end up getting sized/ fitted, get it out on the road for a test ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.