Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this in coaching and haven't gotten a response or even that many views, so I'm trying here.

I've been playing with my seat height because on the trainer, my left hamstring has been feeling really sore when i get off the bike. i thought i found a good position. rode with the wife a couple weeks ago for several hours and had no issues.

yesterday, I did a (almost) 40k TT. there was a pretty good wind and i spent most of the time in the drops. my hamstrings were killing me. mainly my left one. my butt too. should my seat be lower for TT, since i'm spending more time in the drops? i think i have pretty decent flexibility.

i have no plans on getting fit on this bike. eventually, when i get a new bike, i'd like to get fit on that one.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
tomk96 said:
...should my seat be lower for TT, since i'm spending more time in the drops? i think i have pretty decent flexibility...
If anything, your seat should be a little higher since your hips will be further forward in relation to the BB.

Is it your entire hamstring that hurts? I once had an issue with a sore spot on the top of my hamstring that was a result of a saddle thats shape was putting a lot of pressure on that spot if I was in the drops.

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrea138 said:
If anything, your seat should be a little higher since your hips will be further forward in relation to the BB.

Is it your entire hamstring that hurts? I once had an issue with a sore spot on the top of my hamstring that was a result of a saddle thats shape was putting a lot of pressure on that spot if I was in the drops.
yeah, entire hamstring was killing me. the saddle kinda blows too, so it may be adding to it.

· naranjito
785 Posts
tomk96 said:
i have no plans on getting fit on this bike. eventually, when i get a new bike, i'd like to get fit on that one.
You can get fitted on this bike, and just copy the position over to your next bike. A correct fitting is not for any particular bike (although maybe it will be for a particular application - road race, touring, TT, etc). The bike should be made to fit you, not the other way around.

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
foz said:
You can get fitted on this bike, and just copy the position over to your next bike. A correct fitting is not for any particular bike (although maybe it will be for a particular application - road race, touring, TT, etc). The bike should be made to fit you, not the other way around.

it's not worth my time. i'm hoping for new bike in the spring or some time next year. then just get fit on it at the shop when i pick it up. (i race for a shop 2 1/2 hours away and that's where i'd get the bike from).

· Registered
70 Posts
tomk96 said:
it's not worth my time. i'm hoping for new bike in the spring or some time next year. then just get fit on it at the shop when i pick it up. (i race for a shop 2 1/2 hours away and that's where i'd get the bike from).
Even though your getting a new one I'd take the 20 minutes and have someone fit your current bike to you. Equipment that doesn't fit ends up doing more harm than good in the long run. Don't skimp on your health.Just my opinion.

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
tomk96 said:
excuse me for sounding like a smartass, but if it's not worth your time to stop the pain, then why are you complaining? (budget constraints aside that is)

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peanya said:
excuse me for sounding like a smartass, but if it's not worth your time to stop the pain, then why are you complaining? (budget constraints aside that is)
i don't do many TT's and that's when it hurt. i was fine doing a 3+ hour ride a couple weeks prior. if i was having constant issues, i might think differently.

· Registered
2 Posts
Best Advice ever for Bike Fit

Go see a fitter who is using a 3D Motion Capture Retul system. This system can see and quantify cycling specific movements and no other technology comes close. Trust me...I have spent tons of cash on these bike fit tools in the past. Anyway - hats off to the boys in Boulder for bringing Retul to the bike industry :). Pete :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.