Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started fitting my bike and used a plum to verify the alignment from my knee to the center of the pedal. The plum is passing about 4" in front of the pedal which raises a concern for me since I already moved the seat as back as possible.

Any other methods to ensure propper alignment of my knee and pedal.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
4", or 100mm, is really a big distance for anything, so I would make sure you're measuring to the pedal in the horizontal forward (3 o'clock) position, and not top (12 o'clock). Hopefully this is it?
View attachment 279409

Many people slam, decry, excommunicate, burn in effigy, etc., this KOPS, thing, but if you want to start out just today before going to a fitter, I found it to be a good position - only very small easy changes (back a little) were required to be very happy.

I actually went to a fitter, and he did the KOPS thing. I liked the result. I measured setback, and it was right in the (lower end of the) range of the 'Eddy Fit" from Competitive Cyclist, which is what I was pretty much looking for anyway.

At home, for a 'plumb-bob', I use a nail clipper and dental floss. It works well using the same principle as a professional plumb-bob (gravity). In grade 9 I made a real plumb-bob, I'm not doing that **** over again just for this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may be off by an inch or so but not more.
The pedal was in the horizontal forward (3 o'clock) position
I was thinking that maybe I can raise the seat a bit more without fully extending my leg and olso move the clip position on my bike shoes.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I'm kind of stunned that you could be 3" off. Unless you have extremely long thighs or feet or amazingly short crankarms it is hard for me to see how it could be that far off.
Most saddles only have a total of 2-3" of fore-aft adjustment and you need another 3"?

I think we need to back up a little here and think about the whole package.

We get a lot of specific questions on this forum from newbies who get hung up on one particular problem when there is a much more important factor causing it.

I'm not labeling you, just wondering. Please don't take offense from this, I'm not criticizing, just asking.

Are you sure that this bike is the right size for you? Again, not being critical, but how do you know it is the right size?

Consider this: you can buy a setback seat post (3"? I don't know) but how will that affect your reach to the bars? Would you need a 3" shorter stem to compensate? That would likely throw the balance of the bike off; more weight on the back, less on the front.

Before I bought my new bike in January I did a lot of research to make sure I was getting the right frame size. From the factory, the saddle was in the middle of the rails; the middle of the adjustment range. After we set the seat height, the KOPS was perfect without having to touch the fore-aft position and I have lots of room there to fine tune it. That is "normal" for the right-size frame.

Edit: Since you mention seat height; you need to set that first, then fore-aft, then check the height again, etc. going back and forth until it is perfect.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
What's your inseam measurement and your center of BB to top of seat?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.