Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in another thread, I'm riding an old 10-speed (5x2, not a 10 speed cassett).

The standover heigth (measured) is 34 1/4 inches and that's about the max that I can fit. I have no more than an inch clearance when straddling the bike.

I've set the saddle heigth so that I get a comfortable (near full) extension when peddling.

I figure that there's not a lot of adjustments that I can make. The handle bars may raise or lower a little - or maybe rotate. Perhaps the seat angle could be changed. It also appears to be adjusted almost as far away from the handle bars as possible. It can be adjusted forward and backwards about 2 to 3 inches.

Are there any rules-of-thumb for riding position (body parts relative to others) that I can look for to adjust the bike?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Standover isn't a big deal. Here's the basic steps to a basic fit.
1. set saddle height. sounds like you got that part. there's some good videos on youtube to check this process.
2. level saddle. lay a level on top of the saddle.
3. set saddle to put the ball of foot over pedal axle when you have the pedals @ 3 and 9 o'clock. a stationary trainer is pretty necessary for doing this. you didn't say aything about pedals, I'm assuming you just have toeclips. what you are looking to do move the saddle forwards or backwards to make that ball of foot over the pedal axle happen.
4. adapt the stem length/angle to fit the rider's reach /flexibility.

Simple righr?

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
You adjust the cleat on the shoe to get the ball of the foot over the pedal spindle.
You adjust the saddle fore/aft to get your knee over the spindle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts