Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
RECORD the geometry...

If you find a bike that feels like it has the proper reach, find a geometry chart and see what the TT length and seat tube angle are.

When you find a bike that fits well vertically, do the same.

From these dimensions, perhaps a compromise can be found.

When you're trying out a bike, are you SURE that the saddle fore/aft adjustment is set properly, or are you merely adjusting the saddle height and jumping on the bike?

Saddle fore/aft position can make a big difference in the reach to the bars.

There are also short reach bars like the Salsa Poco that will reduce the reach by 1.0-1.5cm. I use them because I have my saddle set pretty far back for climbing and I have a short torso (long legs).

Stems length can be reduce to a little as 90mm is necessary and stem rise can add up to 3cm of height.

You obviously need to stay on the smaller side with regard to frame size (probably a 61cm). If you review the geometry of frames that you've tried, I'd be surprised if the TT length varied more than 1-2cm, which can easily be taken care of with a stem length adjustment.

Have you ever measured your saddle height accurately? This would help a great deal. Also consider using Speedplay pedals wiht Sidi shoes. This combination can reduce your saddle height up to 1cm, compared to LOOK pedals.

A common mistake that I see on this forum is setting the saddle too high. I used to set my saddle at least 2cm too high, forcing me to pedal in a toes down, heel up position that increased my required frame size. My rule of thumb is to be sure you can drop your heel 2-4cm below horizontal with the leg locked out at the bottom of the stroke.

A common recommendation is to have your foot horizontal with the leg locked out at the bottom of the stroke (Zinn in the latest Velonews buyer's guide). This forces you into a toes down position and it's a lot higher than I would use.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
lemond geometry...

The Lemond BA in a 59cm has a 59.1cm TT length and a 72.5 STA. The 61cm size has a slacker 72 degree STA, which effectively shortens the TT length by 7mm to 59.9cm.

The 61cm size will require a 1cm shorter stem. More importantly, the head tube is nearly 2cm taller, which will greatly reduce the problem of getting the bars up to height.

It's a common mistake to think that you're curing a reach problem with a smaller frame and forgetting about a larger bar height problem.

When comparing frames, it's always important to measure the head tube length, including the headset, to get an accurate height comparison.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.