Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home Saturday from the Thousand Oaks stage of the Tour of California when we came upon a traffic jam on the 101 freeway.

Turns out there was a bike in the #2 lane (from the center divider). It was a Trek - a silver one. Maybe even a Madone.

A couple of hundred feet from there we see a guy run across the freeway - packed with cars by the way - from the right shoulder and start running down the center divider against the flow of traffic trying to get to the bike.

Then we pass by a car pulled over on the shoulder. A sedan with two guys standing by it looking worried. Two bikes on the roof rack and an empty spot on the far right where the third one had been.

A crazy scene. Hope this wasn't any of you. Hey, at least it didn't get garage doored.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
How sad! Please tell me he wasn't running down 101 in lycra.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had a Rolf Wheel come off the wheel mount and go crashing off onto the highway-meeting its death with an eighteen wheeler. Didn't even bother to go back to check to see what was left. I feel that guy's pain!

I have nearly lost a bike off a trunk mounted rack, and decided to purchase a roof rack shortly after.

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snapdragen said:
How sad! Please tell me he wasn't running down 101 in lycra.....
Nope. He was in regular shorts or somethin'. Looked very upset though...

·
Registered
186 Posts
The question is...if you saw a Madone lying in the middle of the freeway, would you pull over and try to retrieve it? I once saw a woman do this after a truck filled with rolls of toilet paper lost its cargo. Toilet paper, of all things.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Propofol said:
The question is...if you saw a Madone lying in the middle of the freeway, would you pull over and try to retrieve it? I once saw a woman do this after a truck filled with rolls of toilet paper lost its cargo. Toilet paper, of all things.
Maybe her flatmate was like the guy who went beserk over toilet paper?!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
Maybe next time, the guy will use the rear wheel strap. Better hanging down the side of your car, than bouncing down the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had an entire Thule rack fly off my car with 4Mtbs attached. I was crossing a bridge at a high rate of speed, when a cross wind lifted the entire rig off the roof of my car. This was back in '92 and the car was a brand new VW Passat. Needless to say, my three friends impressed! Thule made good on the rack only, I made good on the damaged bikes. :(

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
All I can say is . . . .OUCH!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw this happen once on I-70 coming back from Utah. Not only did the bike come off the rack, but managed to take out a window of the Grand Cherokee it was riding on. It came sliding to a halt and seemed to be resting peacefully...when, along came a rather large pickup truck. Poor bike never had a chance.

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
remy said:
It came sliding to a halt and seemed to be resting peacefully...when, along came a rather large pickup truck. Poor bike never had a chance.
Ahh, there was a large pickup truck stopped behind the bike. I don't know, maybe he figured he would do the bike owner a favor by blocking traffic until the guy got to the bike. The bulk of the traffic on the freeway were folks leaving the Tour of Calif. race so the guy in the truck coulda been a cyclist himself.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Hmmm must be a Trek thing. Buddy of mine had his wife's 5500 fly off his car too.

Insurance bought him a new one...

M

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MShaw said:
Hmmm must be a Trek thing. Buddy of mine had his wife's 5500 fly off his car too.

Insurance bought him a new one...

M
And a few months ago there was a thread in this forum on how someone with a Trek garage doored his Trek. There were pics of the broken frame and everything.

Careful out there, folks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
My friends Yeti w/ campy record flew off of his friends bike rack onto the 101...they pulled over only to watch it get demolished by an 18 wheeler. CHP picked up the remains and handed it to him in a tiny box. Insurance bought him a new bike.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Husband's Litespeed mountain bike took a header out of the bed of the pickup truck a few years ago. It was early one Thanksgiving morning, no traffic on the scenic highway...brand new truck. Back then, we stood the bikes up and tied them down by the bar ends w/ bungie cords. Sorta like you see motocross bikes sometimes. Apparently the aerodynamics in the bed of a Toyota pick up are different from those of a Ford when you hit 90 mph. The bike did a little handstand that caught husband's eye in the rear view...right before it started it's end over end over end down the highway.

It was not a good result....made me feel rather quesy looking at the carcass.

·
Registered
425 Posts
il sogno said:
I was driving home Saturday from the Thousand Oaks stage of the Tour of California when we came upon a traffic jam on the 101 freeway.

Turns out there was a bike in the #2 lane (from the center divider). It was a Trek - a silver one. Maybe even a Madone.

A couple of hundred feet from there we see a guy run across the freeway - packed with cars by the way - from the right shoulder and start running down the center divider against the flow of traffic trying to get to the bike.

Then we pass by a car pulled over on the shoulder. A sedan with two guys standing by it looking worried. Two bikes on the roof rack and an empty spot on the far right where the third one had been.

A crazy scene. Hope this wasn't any of you. Hey, at least it didn't get garage doored.
After reading all the responses, this sure sounds like a great commercial for why NOT to use bike racks - roof or fender. This is why my baby rides IN my vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SHVentus said:
After reading all the responses, this sure sounds like a great commercial for why NOT to use bike racks - roof or fender. This is why my baby rides IN my vehicle.
Yikes, we were watching this with our Colnago and Time bikes on our roof rack. Does make you think, doesn't it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts