Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are shopping for our first road bikes. I'm almost sold on the 2009 Quest Femme, but he's not sure yet what to get.

He is most concerned about comfort, but as a bike noob, doesn't want to just buy a really comfy bike that will be terrible to ride.

For some more info... he has long legs and a shorter torso, is 6'2 and about 230lbs.

He seems to like the steel and touring bikes he's tried due to them seeming to be better at supporting his weight and being more stable.

He's tried the Trek 520, Jamis Aurora for touring bikes, and a bunch of others. His second favorite after the Jamie Aurora Elite 2009 is the Gary Fischer Lane Cyclo Cross (sp?) --

I've done a lot of research on women's bike, but don't know much about the men's options. Right now he's strongly leaning towards the 2009 Aurora Elite which is on sale for $1100. Seems to be a good deal, but we want to make sure he buys a good bike and not just one that is left over from last year that no one else wants (for good reason?)

Any advice or other bike suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

· Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
As a newbie, most important is to find a bike that fits to a large extent. He will refine his position later thus his fit might change over time.

About the bikes you are considering, never ridden any of them.
The jamis seems definately nice with the steel frame and relaxed geometry. Also the 105 STI leave nothing to be desired, price seems right also.

Given the bike fits, I think you could do a lot worse than the aurora elite.
good luck
brblue

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
brblue said:
As a newbie, most important is to find a bike that fits to a large extent. He will refine his position later thus his fit might change over time.

About the bikes you are considering, never ridden any of them.
The jamis seems definately nice with the steel frame and relaxed geometry. Also the 105 STI leave nothing to be desired, price seems right also.

Given the bike fits, I think you could do a lot worse than the aurora elite.
good luck
brblue
+1 (except I think the '09 Aurora has Tiagra shifters, not 105's). Fit comes first, but the bike also has to suite the intended purposes, so if those criteria are met and your BF is venturing into road riding with comfort in mind, IMO the Jamis is a very good choice and in this case, better spec'd than the GF.

So... two votes for the Jamis. :)

· TRB
55 Posts
As a bike noob myself and being the same height as your bf, not the same weight I'm actually heavier :blush2: I just bought my first bike(s) recently. I just actually sold my Specialized Sectuer or I would offer that to you. However with that said, biggest thing just like the other two people said is.......

FIT, make sure the bike FITS him!!! I'm in a 61cm bike or XXL in Specialized terms, I got a Cervelo RS and I love it. Got fitted at my LBS by a certified fitter and it makes such a difference, I have to go back and have some tweeks done to my saddle however I did 50 miles this weekend and was very comfortable cause my bike FITS me.

Fit is key, I can't make too many recommendations on different brands of bikes but I personally love my Cervello, Trek's and Specialized are nice as well.

So after all my babbling, just make sure it fits him right and you both will have hours and hours of riding together!

· Registered
192 Posts
I wouldn't get a cross bike unless you were planning to take it off road.

If purely for on road riding get a roadie. Personally I have a Fisher and I have nothing but great things to say about them. In that price point check out the Ion. Solid machine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.