Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been cycling for about 7 years now (stolen bike) and I'm finally in the market for a new road bike.

I'm a clydesdale (6'2", around 280 lbs) and when I used to cycle a lot I'd do 20-30 miles a day, about 50 miles on the weekend, plus the StP once a year.

What I'm looking for right now is a bike that has good stiffness for a guy of my size, one that I can connect a trailer to so I can pull my daughter, but also one that I could do some light racing with if I desired.

As for the wheels, unless the bike comes with a really nice set of wheels, I'm far more concerned with the frame and components as I can add some custom wheels.

I can spend upwards of around $1900 (maybe slightly more for a bike that's very compelling) but obviously prefer not to if I can get an awesome bike for less.

I'd love to hear what you suggest.

Thanks!

· fun2none
130 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought ti would work for me but I've heard back from bikesdirect (Mike) that he thinks it would have too much flex for me. He's recommended the fantom cross pro or mercier serpens. I don't know much about the serpens but I do know it's a triple and I'm not a fan of triples.

I'm still at a tossup about which way I'm going to go. I've thought about the fantom cross pro w/ the sram rivals and then having a set of custom wheels made.

Truth is, I was all for going with a Motobecane Le Champ Ti but now I'm leaning towards either a fantom cross pro or surly cross check.

Guess I have more research to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.