Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some general conceptions about different bikes. I'm 6'5, but a lot of my height is in my torso and not my legs. I ride an old giant OCR2 Large with a long stem for the handle bars. It works fine and it's what I'm used to riding, but I wish to upgrade sometime in the next year or so. I also get the feeling I could definitely be a little more stretched out forward on the bike.

Besides custom frame makers, what are the "good" brands for taller people and what are the ones to stay away from?

Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm also 6'5"

But am the opposite of you as I have a shorter torso and longer legs.

I always suggest you get a fitting, or at least go to a site like Colorado Cyclist and punch in the measurements they recommend. It will give you some basic frame sizing (seat tube, top tube, etc.) which is enough to get you in the right ballpark. I ride a custom Seven which is spot-on for me, so I am sold on going custom (especially at our size).

However, you have an advantage that you can likely get a standard frame with the right standover (maybe a 62 or 63cm) and then add stem length. I am surprised you are able to ride a Giant size L frame. That would seem TOO small for someone of your size. However, after you have done the fitting and get measures for the recommended sizing make sure and check the measurements on your current bike. At a minimum this will help you make adjustments to make sure your new frame setup will be comfortable.

For me, I found that the Trek 62cm frames were perfect from a top tube standpoint, but not tall enough from a seat tube standpoint. So, I rode my OCLV with a mile-long seatpost (well, a 300cm Thomson). Worked, but not perfect. I also rode several Cannondales (CAAD 3 and CAAD 5) that were a much better fit, but C'dale 63cm frames have a 61cm top tube. I had to run a very short stem. Again, it worked, but not perfect. The ride on the C'dales was also, well, harsh. (I know a lot of things are in play here...wheels, tires, pressure, etc., but I run the same setup on my Ti Seven and it is wonderfully smooth).

Bottom line...I have no idea! Well, what I do think it that you should be better able to get a fit on a standard size frame (albeit a larger one than you have today).

So,
1. Get a fitting (or at least do an online fitting)
2. Check the frame geometry for the ones you are interested in

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
DeRosa. I'm just a bit shorter than you, (6'3") and most of my height is torso. DeRosas have a longish top tube. I have a 60cm with a 140mm stem, that fits me like a custom made suit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Colnagos make a size 65 in the C50 and other models. But, like everyone else, it is probably above your pricerange.
So... custom.
Your height means more weight and probably more power, cheaper carbon (and probably Al) bikes tend to scale up the lengths of the tubes without increasing their diameter, or adding material to the bottom bracket etc, causing a bit of movement when you put the power down, or stand up. Custom steel is affordable and obviously customisable to your size, power, and riding style.
I am 6'5" and I have to use a 140mm stem and massive seatpost with the largest frame I could get. There is a pic in the "Show Us your Bike" thread.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
afie said:
Colnagos make a size 65 in the C50 and other models. But, like everyone else, it is probably above your pricerange.
So... custom.
Your height means more weight and probably more power, cheaper carbon (and probably Al) bikes tend to scale up the lengths of the tubes without increasing their diameter, or adding material to the bottom bracket etc, causing a bit of movement when you put the power down, or stand up. Custom steel is affordable and obviously customisable to your size, power, and riding style.
I am 6'5" and I have to use a 140mm stem and massive seatpost with the largest frame I could get. There is a pic in the "Show Us your Bike" thread.

Unfortunately if you are that tall with a long torso Colnagos probably won't do the trick. Many bike manufacturers don't lengthen the top tube as much when they make the larger frames.

Almost all vintage italian bikes won't work for the OP. Theie top tubes are too short and you probably couldn't get a stem long enough to fit your torso. You may want to spend the extra bucks to get custom if you are that tall and odd shaped. I am 6'2" with a long torso and the bikes that have fit me best have been the Lemond classic setup in a 59cm. As you go up to a 61cm you actually get a little less top tube length than if you jacked up your seat and your spacers on your fork.

What I am really trying to say is if you have an extremely long torso and you are 6'5" you are not getting any off the shelf bike frame to fit you properly.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
You may want to stick with a sloping top tube model, since most of your height is in torso. That allows you to get a frame with the reach you want but without getting the wrong standover.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
hikndarron said:
Besides custom frame makers, what are the "good" brands for taller people and what are the ones to stay away from?Thanks
Check out the Soma Smoothie ES in a 66cm. That would fit you, but it might not be racy enough.

Don't write off a custom build. Allan Wanta is in the process of building me a frame and fork out of high-zoot True Temper tubing for $800. The top tube is going to be 62 glorious cm, just right for your long torso. The seat tube is going to start at 62cm and slope up 5cm to make a "virtual" 67cm frame. You could call Allan Wanta right now and say "Build me a bike just like Forbes Bagatelle-Black's, but with shorter stays and no cantilever bosses," and in about 8 weeks, you'd have a new bicycle that fit you like a glove. Let me know if you are interested, I'll send you the full specs.

Or you can get a custom Curtlo for $1000 or so, with a bit more attention to aesthetic detail than my Wanta is likely to have.

Your bike needs to fit you in order to perform well! I'm 6'6", and I spent WAY TO MANY YEARS riding a 62cm frame. I have permanent back and hip problems as a result.

I'd say, at your size, a custom steel frame is probably the way to go. It won't have the"Ooo, ahh!" factor amongst the carbon crowd, but the iBOBs (internet Bridgestone Owners Bunch, a.k.a. "Retrogrouches") will love you! Yes, the frame might weigh 1 or 2lb more than the latest plastic bike, but lets be serious. I'm weighing in at 255lb these days. You're probably significantly less. But when you are at or near our size, a pound or two of frame weight doesn't matter a hill of beans.

Just my two cents,

Forbes B-Black

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
Check out the Soma Smoothie ES in a 66cm. That would fit you, but it might not be racy enough.

Don't write off a custom build. Allan Wanta is in the process of building me a frame and fork out of high-zoot True Temper tubing for $800. The top tube is going to be 62 glorious cm, just right for your long torso. The seat tube is going to start at 62cm and slope up 5cm to make a "virtual" 67cm frame. You could call Allan Wanta right now and say "Build me a bike just like Forbes Bagatelle-Black's, but with shorter stays and no cantilever bosses," and in about 8 weeks, you'd have a new bicycle that fit you like a glove. Let me know if you are interested, I'll send you the full specs.

Or you can get a custom Curtlo for $1000 or so, with a bit more attention to aesthetic detail than my Wanta is likely to have.

Your bike needs to fit you in order to perform well! I'm 6'6", and I spent WAY TO MANY YEARS riding a 62cm frame. I have permanent back and hip problems as a result.

I'd say, at your size, a custom steel frame is probably the way to go. It won't have the"Ooo, ahh!" factor amongst the carbon crowd, but the iBOBs (internet Bridgestone Owners Bunch, a.k.a. "Retrogrouches") will love you! Yes, the frame might weigh 1 or 2lb more than the latest plastic bike, but lets be serious. I'm weighing in at 255lb these days. You're probably significantly less. But when you are at or near our size, a pound or two of frame weight doesn't matter a hill of beans.

Just my two cents,

Forbes B-Black

I have a 64cm Soma Smoothie ES and love it. It is heavy with the steel fork and would have been a good bit lighter with the carbon fork but I love the bike. It is set up to tour and commute but if you got one with the carbon fork the weight would be respectable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bike Road Bikes

I am a 6'7" rider from the Mid-Atlantic (NOVA-DC) and I have been riding a 2004 Fuji Team Issue with a 64cm frame. This bike is awesome and fits me great. It is the best Fuji bike available in 2004. It has a carbon fork and seatstay with X-fusion aluminum alloy. The bike only weights 20.4 lbs with SPD pedals. I managed to get the bike built for 1200 dollars which is quite a bargain. I believe FUJI has 3 more frames left and just couldnt sell them so they gave me a huge deal. I am pretty even on upper body and lower body. I do have long arms though. I feel I have more room than I even need. Yes, other bike models you will find in 64cm but I feel FUJI has met my expectations.

I also have a 64cm Fuji Ace that is a cheap steel model version. I use it for commuting as of now since steel can take more of a beating. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.