Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am walking down the street today in Phx AZ, and watched a guy on a bike run into a moving Semi truck. I was on a very busy 4 lane street marking manholes when I look up and see a guy come across 4 lanes on the other side of the street in to the 4 lanes buy me. At the same time there is a Semi truck going down the street, he times it just right hiting the back of the truck by the liftgate. He goes flying in the air comes down out cold in traffic blood everwhere.

I had to jump out in traffic to stop the morons in the cars who were trying to go around him. I get traffic stop called 911, a lady who was a nurse stops to help him ,another lady starts directing traffic( she was all of 98lb beating on cars that would not listen to here) cops and fire get there. The truck driver keep going he never felt or heard this guy hit him. He did come back after another lady chased him down.

The guy on the bike was messed up bad with head and face injurys. So after about 30 minutes of all this they finally take him away the cops leave. Its then that the adreniline stops and reality started again and it hits me hard. All I could think about was how quick it happened. I am not ashamed to admit I was floored at that moment. I never want to see something like that again, and I pray that the guy will be alright.:(

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
jpelaston said:

... ditto...

Yes, it happens so fast... many of us go about our daily lives expecting that each moment will be more or less like the last thus leading to a false sense of security (both cyclists and drivers)...

While not directly cycling related, we've got a local case pending in court (3rd day today) where a driver struck and killed a young man who just got off a school bus. It was on a semi rural road that is often used by local cyclists as a training route. Reports and now testimony in court have the driver at 100 MPH in a 35MPH zone. A passenger in the car reports that the driver was distracted by an argument 'tween the two... and while seeing the school bus... I guess he decided that since he was already 65MPH over the legal limit, he might as well just go around...

When we train out there, we're often passed by vehicles well above the legal limit.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
its a bit scary, but I think we all become desensitized to the fear of passing vehicles, as it occurs frequently. Occassionally, I'll get passed by someone driving a loud vehicle pretty closely, and a quiet vehicle very fast, and also close, which makes me flinch and scares the bejeezus out of me. I try and keep off 45 mph speed limit roads, but occassionally I understand that cycling is VERY dangerous, and I can get killed anytime.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
dom3333 said:
see a guy come across 4 lanes on the other side of the street in to the 4 lanes by me. At the same time there is a Semi truck going down the street, he times it just right hiting the back of the truck by the liftgate.
I hope the guy is OK.

I don't have a clear picture of what happened. Did the guy rear end a semi travelling in the same direction as he was or was this an intersection and the truck was cross traffic to the cyclist. Could you describe it more so we better understand what went wrong.

Thanks
Scot

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
It's always amazed me how when a bad thing happens it seems to occur in slow motion, then everything is in a timewarp like sensation with stuff happening fast in reality but never fully registering in your brain at the time (auto pilot feeling), and then the crash and adrenaline shakes afterward and the realization that stuff happened a lot quicker and crazier than you realized. This will be with you for a while but will fade out over time. I've been in enough bad or wacked situations now to know that for me (it's a personal thing) it takes a couple of weeks before the shock, anger, or sadness begins to wear off.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Semi was going down the road west bound, guy on bike was crossing 8 lanes of traffic going north bound. He hit the end of the truck right where the lift gate was, what a mess.

Ridgetop your last sentence is exactly how I feel. THX

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
dom3333 said:
So I am walking down the street today in Phx AZ, and watched a guy on a bike run into a moving Semi truck. I was on a very busy 4 lane street marking manholes when I look up and see a guy come across 4 lanes on the other side of the street in to the 4 lanes buy me. At the same time there is a Semi truck going down the street, he times it just right hiting the back of the truck by the liftgate. He goes flying in the air comes down out cold in traffic blood everwhere.

I had to jump out in traffic to stop the morons in the cars who were trying to go around him. I get traffic stop called 911, a lady who was a nurse stops to help him ,another lady starts directing traffic( she was all of 98lb beating on cars that would not listen to here) cops and fire get there. The truck driver keep going he never felt or heard this guy hit him. He did come back after another lady chased him down.

The guy on the bike was messed up bad with head and face injurys. So after about 30 minutes of all this they finally take him away the cops leave. Its then that the adreniline stops and reality started again and it hits me hard. All I could think about was how quick it happened. I am not ashamed to admit I was floored at that moment. I never want to see something like that again, and I pray that the guy will be alright.:(
thanks for sharing. You did a good thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.