Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
9,790 Posts
Considering that the bike looks to be 30-40 years old (or at least the parts are), then I'd say it's probably irrelevant. Odds are the company doesn't exist anymore.

Edit:
Wait a minute.... that's a mass-merchant bar code below the headtube badge. It's a piece of crap with some parts from a 1970s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Considering that the bike looks to be 30-40 years old (or at least the parts are), then I'd say it's probably irrelevant. Odds are the company doesn't exist anymore.
Oh really, it is that old? I am looking for an inexpensive road bike to get into cycling with and see if I like it and was drawn to this one because it looked more modern than anything else in my price range. I was looking for something super cheap, less than 150, to get started, but most of the bikes in that price range are OLD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For less than $150? Go see the bike and if the shifters work and you don't see rust, get it.
Yeah he is selling it for 125. I know it a SUPER low budget, but I haven't ridden a bike since I was in high school (23 now) so I want to see how much I actually get off my butt and ride it before dropping a big chunk of change on a nice bike.

·
9,790 Posts
Oh really, it is that old? I am looking for an inexpensive road bike to get into cycling with and see if I like it and was drawn to this one because it looked more modern than anything else in my price range. I was looking for something super cheap, less than 150, to get started, but most of the bikes in that price range are OLD.
The brake levers, brakes, and shifters are from the 1970s. The frame is from a $150 (new price, not current value) WalMart bike.

I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. It's actual *value* is no more than $40-$50.

·
9,790 Posts
Yeah he is selling it for 125. I know it a SUPER low budget, but I haven't ridden a bike since I was in high school (23 now) so I want to see how much I actually get off my butt and ride it before dropping a big chunk of change on a nice bike.
Surest way to guarantee that you don't ride is to buy a crappy bike. You should be able to find something decent on craigslist for $200 or so.

Reactions: ph0enix

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Your budget makes it tough to find anything decent.

There are a couple of junk shops here that have a lot of old bikes parked out front. It's always worth taking a minute to stop and see what they have.

Usually they are old Huffys and junk that aren't worth anything, but sometimes you can get lucky.
Couple of years ago I found an early '80s 27" Univega 12-speed that had spent most of its' life parked in a garage. Lugged steel japanese frame and fork, all original parts, very few scratches, the red bar tape had faded to an ugly pink. It looked really good and rode well. Not a classic worth collecting but a decent bike I'm not ashamed to ride.
Ten bucks.

Deals like that are rare but if you catch the seller on a slow day when the rent is due or he's thirsty for a beer you might get lucky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.