Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what these 2 bikes are? I figgure the one with the blue rattle can paintjob is likely a "mart" bike, but I think the silver one is somthing good:confused:

· duh...
9,749 Posts
the cranks and stem-mounted shifters suggest that they are of Schwinn Varsity level, the typical "10 speed" that kids rode to school in the late 70s. Is the rear brake missing on the blue one?

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my question should have been more along the lines of "is Motebecane good stuff, a euro equivelent of Huffy, or other?"

I can't really get close enough right now to see what parts groups are on them.

And yes, it does apear the blue one is missing the rear break.

· Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
motobecane mixte

the grey is a motobecane mixte from the 70s. a mixte is a different type of woman's frame that is stronger than a typical woman's frame.

the spoke protector and other details let you know it is not some high performance, top-of-the-line bike.

however, motobecanes were and are still good bikes. this bike would be good for local riding for a woman. like riding for a half hour on local roads for exercise, or running errands, or commuting. it would be heavy and not really have the gearing for a 60 mile ride.

if you are good at cleaning up bikes, it might be worth 100 or more in operating condition. so if someone is giving it away for a few bucks at a garage sale, it might be worth it. but it is not some great garage sale find that will have you on a top road bike for just a few dollars.

here is a link for a bike shop selling a similar moto mixte:
http://www.hampshirebicycleexchange.com/used road bikes.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.