Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there such a thing as an insurance that covers crashes while racing? that is, insurance for the bike, not necessarily for the rider?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
revlimitfunk said:
is there such a thing as an insurance that covers crashes while racing? that is, insurance for the bike, not necessarily for the rider?
this might be a hard one to swing...
Insurance for you bike is usally covered by your homeowners or renter's policy

They will probably try to avoid payment at all costs.
no need to mention it was a race you were in. You were just riding along right?
now if another rider bumped you causing the fall they might say he is liable.

You'd want to check how it would effect your rates if you made a claim though...

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
revlimitfunk said:
USA cycling used to sell it, I don't know if they still do. It was cheap, like $50 for a 4k bike. It covered any incident that happened at a race, even if you damaged your bike just warming up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
homeowners or renters might cover the bike for basic homeowners perils like theft or fire but not race or crash damages. it is not like car insurance. however, your best bet is to check with a local insurance agent. later.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
In my days racing motorcycles, the rule we lived by was that if you couldn't afford to replace your bike--on your own dime--you didn't race. If you think about it, you go after insurance because you can't afford to crash. In the motorcycle world, that means you can't really afford race fees, tires, chains, fuel, oil changes, proper gear, helmets, etc., either, and you really shouldn't be out there wasting what little money you have.

Though the economics are different for bicycles (wear items are cheaper, as are entry fees, transpo, etc.), I think I'd probably treat bicycle racing the same way.

My only racing crash broke me a lot worse than the bike, and by the time I was ready physically to race again I'd saved enough money from skipping race weekends to fix the bike up. I expect this would be even more the case with bike crashes, seeing as you're much more liable to get torn up than your bike is (unless you fall down in front of the pace car and it runs your bike over).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts