Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's one particular intersection on my commute where drivers like to split the right lane in order to make a right turns, rather than being stuck behind someone waiting to go straight after the light changes.

The problem is that they can't squeeze by the other cars unless they drive in the bike lane and they often end up sitting still in the bike lane waiting for a break in cross traffic.

When I'm riding my bike, this is an intersection where I need to go straight. But if I'm in the bike lane I could be blocking a car that wants to make a right turn or I could be in danger of any number of things happening.

I know how I handle this situation. How would you?

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
There's one particular intersection on my commute where drivers like to split the right lane in order to make a right turns, rather than being stuck behind someone waiting to go straight after the light changes.

The problem is that they can't squeeze by the other cars unless they drive in the bike lane and they often end up sitting still in the bike lane waiting for a break in cross traffic.

When I'm riding my bike, this is an intersection where I need to go straight. But if I'm in the bike lane I could be blocking a car that wants to make a right turn or I could be in danger of any number of things happening.

If the car is in front of me in the bike lane, I go around on his left, without hardly slowing down. No problem. I may look back to make sure there's enough space, but assume traffic behind will see me and let me in. This has never failed.

Gotta check for doors opening, though. Often the car is letting someone out, and you just never know for sure if it will be on the street side. I never try to thread the needle next to the curb. I could get doored or the car is likely to turn into me.

When parked in the bike lane waiting for a green light, I get as far up front as possible so cars wanting to make a right turn see me in front of them. I also push off when the cross light goes yellow, "taking the cross walk" before a car starts a right turn. If I wait, he will frequently try to turn right in front of me.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think in NYC cars are allowed to move into the bike lane to make a right.

Since the cars are waiting for cross traffic to ease up, presumably you are as well, so you kind of have nowhere to go.

I just wait behind the car blocking the lane and proceed when the lane is clear and cross traffic is clear.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
I think in NYC cars are allowed to move into the bike lane to make a right.
This is the case on many bike lane roads in Toronto (designated by a broken line for 20-30 m or so back from the intersection).

If I'm behind a car, I'll wait or take the live lane if it is moving.

If I'm waiting at a light to go straight, too bad for the car behind. If it were just cars with no bike lane, and one wanted to turn right and another car was stopped to go straight, turner would have to wait. No difference with a bike appropriately in the bike lane waiting to go straight. If I can move up or over safely to let them go I will, but many locations don't allow for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I encounter the same thing you do everyday in Philly; however, this is not (never was) an issue for me as I always ride in between (lane split) the cars, trucks, buses, etc..

We have a wonderful relationship here in Philly between cyclists, motorists and bike cops. Just use your common sense wisely.

·
Cycling Addict
5,174 Posts
Is the vehicle wanting to turn a 'pickup'? block it!

If I am in my car and approaching one of these intersections I slide my car as far to the right as possible in the auto lane so that they don't have room to use the bike lane as a turning lane.

·
Registered
829 Posts
In Florida they should require drivers to understand the difference between a bike lane and a turning lane. Cars turning right typically get into the bike lane 500ft before the turn lane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts