Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing there are a lot of states with new bike laws being proposed or passed here recently. Just wondering what some of them might be.

Here in Iowa...

Proposed bill requiring cars to change lanes completely when passing a bike. But also stuck to this bill is that bikes will be required to have front and back lights running anytime you are on it. Day or night.

So instead of stopping distracted drivers they are going to spend their time pulling over bikers without a front or back light. No other state has this law.

Can anyone top that...

·
Registered
518 Posts
A rural legislator in your neighbor to the north has introduced a bill (HF499) that would require all bike users to obtain a permit to use urban bike lanes. Permits would only be available to users age 15 and older.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I'm guessing there are a lot of states with new bike laws being proposed or passed here recently. Just wondering what some of them might be.

Here in Iowa...

Proposed bill requiring cars to change lanes completely when passing a bike. But also stuck to this bill is that bikes will be required to have front and back lights running anytime you are on it. Day or night.

So instead of stopping distracted drivers they are going to spend their time pulling over bikers without a front or back light. No other state has this law.

Can anyone top that...
I would not support the idea that cars have to completely change lanes to pass. That is going to cause a lot of back ups and just piss off motorists. I think the biggest risk to cyclists right now are the use of smartphones while driving. Lets start there

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts

Here in Iowa...

Can anyone top that...
Yup.

Montana has a bill that presently would ban cyclists from highways.

Bill would ban bicyclists from most 2-lane roads in state | Montana Legislature | bozemandailychronicle.com

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
"Proposed" and "passed" are two very different things. Crazy **** gets proposed in state legislatures every day, but most of the crazy stuff doesn't go far. It only takes one legislator who had one whacko constituent catch his ear to propose something. I don't pay much attention until things move closer to becoming law.

·
Cycling Addict
5,172 Posts
I believe that Montana bill has already been tabled by the delegate who submitted it, as discussed earlier on this forum.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Anyone Pushing a bill requiring cars to change lanes completely when passing a bike would soon find themselves being voted out of office.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Ohio just passed a bill that requires vehicles to give 3 feet of clearance passing a bicycle and allows cyclists to stop and go if clear at traffic lights that won't detect bicycles. Both good measures, and very welcomed by the cycling community here.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I would guess that the Iowa proposal is a result of the inability to enforce a 3 foot law. It's almost impossible to judge 3 feet vs.2.5. It is easier to enforce a complete lane change

I agree that this proposal will never pass, but I don't understand some of the comments. I ride about 3 feet from the edge of the road. This keeps me from having motorists passing to close. They have to cross into another lane with their left wheels. Once you cross lanes with a part of your vehicle what's the practical difference with moving entirely into another lane?

I am not aware of any new proposals here in Illinois, but we do have 2 laws that you don't find in most states.

We have a 120 second statute. If a stop light will not change in this time period a bike can treat it as a stop sign.

We also have a statute regulating bikes passing on the right of cars. I forget the exact wording, but basically it requires a bike lane or equivalent in order to pass on the right.

·
Registered
518 Posts
"Proposed" and "passed" are two very different things. Crazy **** gets proposed in state legislatures every day, but most of the crazy stuff doesn't go far. It only takes one legislator who had one whacko constituent catch his ear to propose something. I don't pay much attention until things move closer to becoming law.
Usually when proposed legislation is "closer to becoming law" it is much tougher to alter the proposal. Catching it early and making the calls/writing the letters is MUCH more effective at the early proposal stage. Typically you want the changes made BEFORE it's first hearing, and if the changes are backed as "constituent input" the committees are much more likely to keep it in the bill. Source: my neighbor who was chief of staff for a state representative in DC.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
I would not support the idea that cars have to completely change lanes to pass. That is going to cause a lot of back ups and just piss off motorists. I think the biggest risk to cyclists right now are the use of smartphones while driving. Lets start there
I would be happy with just half a lane.....

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
I would guess that the Iowa proposal is a result of the inability to enforce a 3 foot law. It's almost impossible to judge 3 feet vs.2.5.
Actually, these passing laws can obviously prove that the vehicle did not provide 3 feet because they hit the bicycle. Close passing is "never" enforced, but the existence of a 3 foot law means that any time a driver hits a bike when passing they are automatically violating the law.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with DaveG that texting and distracted driving needs fixed first. Iowa is trying to address that some with a proposal that cops could pick up anyone they see with a cell phone. We already have a text ban but you only get charged with that after an accident and they see you were texting..

The problem with the cell phone thing is I could see them using this excuse to pull anyone over at anytime.

Going from nothing to changing lanes will be a big change in Iowa if it goes by. I want to say their are some stipulations that you can still pass without changing lanes if you are going up a hill or some other situations... Which seems completely stupid as most times I have almost been hit is when a driver is wanting to pass in a no passing zone.

I hope MN doesn't pass a pay permit for cycling. That opens a big door.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Minnesota also has the three foot passing law. Drivers, policemen, heck even most cyclists are completely unaware of it.

It doesn't help the "cyclists getting hit" issue because much of the time the driver drives off anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts