Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
Cygolite expilion 850:

I love mine. At the time, it was the most powerful light they had without an external battery.

Reactions: Gua

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
Any suggestions on a good bike mtb bike light under $100
This is Road Bike Review. You should go over to Mountain Bike Review. MTBR.com You'd get better answers.
It would also be helpful if you explained what kind of mtb riding you intend on doing. And how long you'll be riding. There's a huge difference between riding a mtb on a rail trail and bombing on some rocky technical single track.

Check out Magicshine lights. Great light for the money.

Cygolite expilion 850:

I love mine. At the time, it was the most powerful light they had without an external battery.
I've had one for years. Definitely one of the best out there. I wouldn't use one for MTBing though. Maybe two on the bars and one on the helmet.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
This is Road Bike Review. You should go over to Mountain Bike Review. MTBR.com You'd get better answers.
It would also be helpful if you explained what kind of mtb riding you intend on doing. And how long you'll be riding. There's a huge difference between riding a mtb on a rail trail and bombing on some rocky technical single track.

I've had one for years. Definitely one of the best out there. I wouldn't use one for MTBing though. Maybe two on the bars and one on the helmet.
Yeah, I beach ride in the dark and I have a bar mount pointed in front of my tire and one on my helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Lots of good, cheap and bright-as-hell lights with huge batteries available on Amazon for roughly $40-50. I'm talking "jet landing light" bright....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lots of good, cheap and bright-as-hell lights with huge batteries available on Amazon for roughly $40-50. I'm talking "jet landing light" bright....
Yup. Choose one. Hope for the best, expect the worst. Harsh but it’s all about battery life and build quality. I have had a few brands and they all eventually give out or have some fatal flaw. Some of the tactical flashlights can be ok. Vibration usually ruins those. Flashlight route requires creative mounting skills. Check the MTB forum for bike light ideas/opinions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m looking into lights as well. Outbound Lighting is another brand, but above your price range. That said, they are rechargeable and don’t require external batteries And have a 3 year warranty. Seems to be a good option.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
I’m looking into lights as well. Outbound Lighting is another brand, but above your price range. That said, they are rechargeable and don’t require external batteries And have a 3 year warranty. Seems to be a good option.
I like that Outbound Lighting road light with the shaped beam. I'm running a SON Edelux 2 with a hub dynamo and can't say enough good things about a shaped beam. It puts plenty of light where it's needed without being obnoxious to on coming traffic.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like that Outbound Lighting road light with the shaped beam. I'm running a SON Edelux 2 with a hub dynamo and can't say enough good things about a shaped beam. It puts plenty of light where it's needed without being obnoxious to on coming traffic.
The reading I’ve done, I really like what they offer. I’m looking for something that could be used for both Road and MTB, and the combo helmet and bar light is something I may end up with. This would give me options, but I’d be using the lights on the trail more than anything. And when I say trail, it’s more swoopy single track that’s flat and on canal roads. This is all close to my house but I think the helmet light would allow for some road use as well.

But thanks for the mention on the shaped beam, gives me something to look at as I read More. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
The reading I’ve done, I really like what they offer. I’m looking for something that could be used for both Road and MTB, and the combo helmet and bar light is something I may end up with. This would give me options, but I’d be using the lights on the trail more than anything. And when I say trail, it’s more swoopy single track that’s flat and on canal roads. This is all close to my house but I think the helmet light would allow for some road use as well.

But thanks for the mention on the shaped beam, gives me something to look at as I read More. Appreciate it!
The thing about a helment light on the road is putting it in the face of those you look towards, while taking it away from the road, where it is needed. Think peripheral vision and road hazards that will go unseen if using a helment light on the road.

From my reading about off road use a helment light, supplementing a bike mounted light, works best. From my limited off street use this makes sense. Close turns and short rollers can get lost in the dark, and the ability to see, with a helment light, would be an advantage. The helment light wouldn't be needed for road use, so could be left behind.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts

I've been using Magicshine lights for years. The 900 lumen model is so bright I only use it on medium when commuting because people coming the other way yell at me that its to bright on full blast. I commute on a MUT -- used to anyway -- that's pretty dark.

I've been riding in the dark for close to 30 years and lights these days with li batteries and LED lights are so far ahead of the light I started with -- Bike Nashbar with a lead/acid battery with swung from the top tube, attached to two lamps on the handle bars that never managed to point in the same direction. Ran for maybe an hour and needed 8 hours to recharge. Then there were the horrid Niterider systems that lasted a year if you were lucky for $200 (more like $300 in today's dollars).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Then there were the horrid Niterider
In addition to my post above…..

Still waiting for Niterider to respond to my email or phone message from Oct 2020. Yes, Oct 20 20.
Anniversary party?

Had a 650. Worked fine once I got it turned on. Battery lasted with occasional/light
use for about 2 years.

Ended up with some help from forum members and replaced the battery DIY. Got 4 months or so more out of the light. Honestly, I probably got a poor battery to replace the OEM battery. BTW. That was not an easy swap out.

Punted and got a better funky named light from AMZ. Still real good after 8 months. That is a bit of a surprise.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I had 3-4 Niterider systems over the years. Earlier on, they had decent customer service. As their product degraded in quality, so did the customer service. For some years, they were really the only game in town for bike lights. The battery that fit in a bottle cage was a big innovation at the time. I had problems with their chargers. I recall one time I had one that would get real hot smell like burnt plastic when it was charging. It was downright dangerous. Performance made a knock off that I returned a week later .. a total POS. These days, bike lights are all over the place, cheap and very good. I'm surprised Niterider is still in business.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got my NiteRider at REI. I was used to REI selling stuff that REI considered good quality. The brand name Nite Rider was always good, but I was not aware product quality suffered and marketing was riding on previous quality brand recognition. Guess REI was “taken in” too.

I always considered products sold at REI to be great, but no more. It’s caveat emptor [definition from the net]-“the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made”. That goes for the return policy too.

My new personal purchase rule.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I got my NiteRider at REI. I was used to REI selling stuff that REI considered good quality. The brand name Nite Rider was always good, but I was not aware product quality suffered and marketing was riding on previous quality brand recognition. Guess REI was “taken in” too.

I always considered products sold at REI to be great, but no more. It’s caveat emptor [definition from the net]-“the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made”. That goes for the return policy too.

My new personal purchase rule.
I've been a REI member for decades. I don't buy a ton of stuff from them anymore. As far as bikes go, its a side business for them. Would you shop for hiking boots at a bike shop, if they were selling them?

Light systems these days are so cheap, I consider them disposable. But they seem to last longer than the ones I used to pay 3X more for in the past. Brighter, lighter, more dependable and cheaper. An anomaly in the bike industry.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
My handlebar mounted light on my mtb is a Bontrager. It wasn’t cheap, but it works great. Very happy with battery life/charge life and illumination. If I remember correctly it was over $100.00. Great light though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts