Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be biking in Berkeley, CA tomorrow and I might be stopping for lunch with friends or visiting the UC dorms. I want to know if my bike lock is uh.. sufficient. I got it at walmart a few years ago and it's a Bell with the words DuPont Kevlar printed on the 'meaty chain?'

Will it be easily cut through or something? Should I look into getting a U-lock or a lock of a different brand?

Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ask yourself if the chain (or cable) could be easily cut with bolt cutters. If the answer is yes, it is good enough to keep honest people honest, but not a determined bike thief who has 30 seconds and a pair of cutters. This type is probably safe for keeping your bike yours when it is within sight, and 99% of the time when popping into a store in a half decent neighbourhood.

If you plan on leaving your bike unattended for any length of time, get a U-lock with a flat (not circular) key. These can still be compromised if someone has the tools and the time, but I'd feel safe going for lunch if mine were locked with a U-lock. Google locking techniques to make sure you don't end up with a lock and a wheel left waiting for you when you get back to your bike.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If it's an expensive bike....good luck! :eek:

When I'm cycling, I only eat in places that I can take the bike in, i.e., casual eat in/take out places. I just make sure the bike doesn't block any tables or aisles. I've never run into a situation that made me move the bike. I have a super hard, thick motorcycle chain/lock (Kryptonite NY Chain) for my motorcycles, but it's way to heavy to take with me on the bike.

In a college town like that, I'd eat where I could watch the bike....or take the bike into the dorm room, if possible.

Yeah, if you decide to lock it, make sure you lock BOTH wheels and frame to something stationary.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If you are concerned about the bike being locked, you also need to be concerned about your saddle and computer. I would opt for eating where I can have view of the bike (outdoor cafe) and take the bike into the dorm.

I carry a cable that is as strong as the lock; it's very light and as fsdork suggest, only keeps honest people honest.

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
Bottom line:

If you can't afford to have your bike stolen, then don't lock it. A locked bike, any locked bike, any lock or combination of locks, can and will be defeated.

If you choose to lock a bike, make sure the bike is something you can live without and replace easily (beater bike)

Cheers

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i never lock any of my bikes to anything (my mtb, or my road bike). they never leave my hands for more than 5 feet.

i have a 2009 Spec Tricross Singlecross $850. this one i'd lock up, but only if i'm still within 10 minutes from coming back to it. i use the Kryptonite NY Lock + thick security cable around the wheels.

i'm from NYC.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't let it out of my site if you can't afford for it to get stolen either. There is very little crime at the college I go to or in the surrounding city, but people still periodically steal bikes.

Maybe you should see if you can leave it with your friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts