Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question...
i am entering my first race of the season. i have only ridden in one race prior to this (last may) and had such a great time that i am planning on getting into at least ten or so rides this season. the race this weekend is 37 miles, one 5 mile hill in the middle, and a slightly uphill finish. i might also do the crit on saturday, 30 min +2 (this would be my first crit). i will be in the Beginner/Cat 4 race. i have a bone stock specialized allez triple (entry level) with the same tires that i had when i first bought my bike a year and a half ago.
for this racing season, would it benefit me to buy a separate "racing" wheelset that what i currently have on my bike (i believe they are forged out of iron) :) would it be almost as good to just get tires with less rolling resistance than my current tires. i've read that a good set of wheels and tires can make a difference, just wanted some input from you all. also, any good wheelsets in the $300 US range?
thanks in advance, and i'll be sure to give a race report.

also, what kinds of speeds should i expect from the beginner/Cat 4 RR? Cheers.

·
Registered
635 Posts
a few ideas.....

convert it to a double? you don't really need a triple for racing. its lighter (slightly) and most racers have doubles (in my experience). especially if its not super hilly

tires are cheaper than wheels, and can do alot. check those out first. if your current tires are shot then definately go for it, if not, hold off (as long as yours are decent). you can also get some good tubes when u get new tires. and you can get a decent race/training tire such as conti's, michilen, vredestein, vittoria, veloflex.......in the 35-55 range (per tire)

wheels, maybe save for later. nuevation makes some sick wheels for 400 that are fine for racing. You could also look into custom builts. you can get a decent wheelset for a bit more that you could both race and train on.

upgrade contact points first. if your stock bike has a saddle you dont like, get rid of it. most stock saddles are heavy, easy way to make an important upgrade and drop 1/4-1/2 lb. same goes for pedals and bars (although those 2 are less important imo)

FAST.

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

thanks a bunch for the info...
how much do you think it would cost to convert it to a double? also, what type should i go with (compact double? brand?) thanks again!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
you don't need to do anything. Good rubber is important from a reliability standpoint, but as a beginning racer, wheeels and tires aren't going to be what holds you back (again, assuming what you are using is currently reliable).

I'd go with Michelin Pro2Race tires -- they are ubiquitous and have great rolling resistance. and you can get 'em for about $25 a tire from www.probikekit.com right now with free shipping. 'Course, probably not in time for your race.

Also, don't make "race day" mechanical changes to your bike -- you've gotta ride the race set up a few times to know that it's reliable.

·
Registered
635 Posts
im not the guy to answer that, but not to much. I THINK: worst case u need a new crank, front derailer, and left shifter and possibly bottom bracket. best case you can use the same shifter, derailer (i think) bottom bracket and get a new crank. it depends on what you have currently. Someone on here knows, throw this into the wrenching forum. Or ask you're lbs.
its you're call as to a compact or not. I've never really ridden one, so again I can't say. It also depends on how much you want to spend, and what you have currently. If you like your triple and its made by shimano, it may make sense to get the shimano double. or if you have the dough or are unhappy why not try an upgrade. fsa makes some super expensive nice cranks, but those are uneccessary (for mine or your level). If your bike is a 105 setup, get a 105 crank, or maybe go to ultegra. I don't think you would need dura ace, but if you want it its your money. or maybe you have campy stuff. I run a 53X39 (fairly standard)
as for cost: it depends yet again. can you do the wrenching yourself or are you having a shop do it? if you go talk to them you can get a quote for labor and parts. you could also try to find cheap parts online and have them install (although I don't know if i would necessarily do that). Or you can buy parts and do it yourself if you know how, and then have a shop check it out (do a tune up). if you have had your bike over a year and are about to start racing you may want a tune up anyway. something to think about.
a brank new fsa carbon crankset is 611 on probikekit. a 105 is 132, an ultegra 162.
hope that helps
I was also gonna reccomend prorace2's, but for some reason left that out. I'm trying to save enough to get them from probikekit right now, i just cant justify it when i have a less than 250mi set of bonti race lites.....and i need other stuff

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
a nice wheelset will feel great, but if its too nice you'll be scared to race on it...
300 won't get you much of a set but 500 could...

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Some prices

dfleck said:
a nice wheelset will feel great, but if its too nice you'll be scared to race on it... 300 won't get you much of a set but 500 could...
I agree that the OP should focus on new tires, but for $335 you can get a Campy Chorus/MAVIC Open Pro wheel from Colorado Cyclist. An Ultegra wheelset is $230. I would disagree that these are "not much of a set."

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...thanks again...

thanks again for the continued info...
i think that i will run down to the lbs and look to see what type of tire selection they have. based on what i've read this will be more $, but i will be able to have them for the weekend. not sure if it matters much, but i'm slightly larger rider...6'2" 200lbs...do the aforementioned wheelsets handle heavier riders?
i know that i probably won't be competitive this time out, but i feel that by the end of the season i have a chance to be, should that impact my decision on going with a nicer wheelset and tires? i have an 84 mile race in mid may (again, not planning on being too competitve by then either) but from what i've read lighter moving parts will save some time and some energy. thanks for the info...

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
B-Fun said:
thanks again for the continued info...
i think that i will run down to the lbs and look to see what type of tire selection they have. based on what i've read this will be more $, but i will be able to have them for the weekend. not sure if it matters much, but i'm slightly larger rider...6'2" 200lbs...do the aforementioned wheelsets handle heavier riders?
i know that i probably won't be competitive this time out, but i feel that by the end of the season i have a chance to be, should that impact my decision on going with a nicer wheelset and tires? i have an 84 mile race in mid may (again, not planning on being too competitve by then either) but from what i've read lighter moving parts will save some time and some energy. thanks for the info...
Competative= legs. Make the bike safe and reliable. Then, if you have money to burn, go for the fun stuff. - TF

·
Registered
773 Posts
Neuvation makes lighweight wheelsets for low prices. Look into some R28 SL with tripled butted spokes that weigh around 1470g or the Aero for ~1600g.

John Neugent hooked our school up with a deal and many of my teammates use the R28 SL. The wheelset is really light, but the triple butted spokes are not as strong. Thus, this makes it ideal for climbing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts