Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter weather is coming...

Wondering what the thoughts are on either using my road bike mounted to a trainer (not interested in roller v. trainer debate), or using a standalone stationary bike...This will be the first winter training I do, and I'm planning on riding outside when possible, but I need a fallback for 'can't ride' days. I'm looking for some benefit/detriment analysis on both sides, from people who have tried both.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I'd choose my road bike over a stationary bike. By using your usual bike you keep the same position that you're used to. You don't have to adapt to a new position twice per year. You also have the same gears, same shifters, same bars, use the same shoes, same seat, etc.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Agree completely with Mr. Versatile. But if you're looking for a compromise, consider a dumpster bike mounted to your trainer. If the saddle-pedal-handlebar points in space are identical to your fancy road bike, there's no reason why you can't train on junk. I did some of my best winter training on an AMF "Roadmaster" found in a ditch and subsequently mounted onto my Blackburn wind trainer.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
everyone here will say get a trainer for YOUR BIKE.
Are you sure? The dude who wrote post # 3 recommended a dumpster bike. And many of those who say get a trainer for YOUR BIKE will only do so because they've never trained on a standalone stationary bike. :)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Confused?

jaysc said:
Do you have anything to contribute to this thread?.
I already contributed to this thread in posts # 3 and # 5. If you don't like what I contributed, say so and explain why you don't like it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
wim said:
I already contributed to this thread in posts # 3 and # 5. If you don't like what I contributed, say so and explain why you don't like it.
Sincerest apologies. I failed to read the user names of all posters and did not realize that you were also poster number three. Post number five makes more sense now. I guess I was more tired than I realized.

Post edited!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
jaysc said:
did not realize that you were also poster number three.
Part of this was my fault. Trying to be witty, I referred to myself in the third person ("the dude who wrote..."), which is, in fact, confusing.

·
Roll Model
384 Posts
I tried 2 different stationary bikes and both of them were worse than riding my bike on the trainer, which is bad enough but I will do it.

I vote trainer.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Price, portability, identical fit and controls of what you're actually training for, ease of storage, realistic gear changing ......I really can't think of anything in favor of a stationary bike other than it won't put any wear on your bike. Even then it might still be cheaper to get a second bike and a trainer.
There are cheap stationary bikes out there off course......but as far as I know if you want realistic gear change and resistance change it will cost a mint on a stationary bike. I doubt anyone would ever burn enough tires to make up the difference. But considering you just use tires that are no longer road safe but not dead either....it's a moot point anyway.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Stationary bike in a spin class....

While I have a trainer for my bike, I just don't have to motivation to get any real benefit out of it...

When I can't ride outdoors, I head to the local 24 Hr Fitness and take a spin class...I have 3 locations within an easy drive so there is always a class regardless of the day of week.... For me, I get a much better workout....your mileage may vary

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it essential to have a dedicated trainer wheel and tire? What's the thought behind doing that instead of just using your regular wheel/tire?

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are so many benefits to having YOUR bike in a trainer as stated in the previous post and I have a trainer as well. BUT, there are other household benefits to having an indoor cycle. We just purchased a barely used LeMond RevMaster Pro.

Here is our rationalization:
1. outside bike stays outside (no having to clean it before it comes indoors)
2. indoor cycles are practically silent (good for family considerations if you share space)
3. wifey likes to use the indoor cycle so changing positions is fast and easy for all.
4. it takes up a lot less room in the 'exercise corner' of our den

Is the same set up as your road bike - absolutely not - but items 1-4 won out in our household YMMV.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lawfarm said:
Is it essential to have a dedicated trainer wheel and tire? What's the thought behind doing that instead of just using your regular wheel/tire?

Trainers tend to eat tires from what I hear. My guess is many people just buy a seperate cheap wheel/tire combo to swap on so they don't eat through good tires they use during the season. Check out www.sportsauthority.com if you're looking at the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. I just picked one up and found a 20% off coupon code online. Got it for 255+shipping. I think like 275-280$ total.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Stationary bike in a spin class....

While I have a trainer for my bike, I just don't have to motivation to get any real benefit out of it...

When I can't ride outdoors, I head to the local 24 Hr Fitness and take a spin class...I have 3 locations within an easy drive so there is always a class regardless of the day of week.... For me, I get a much better workout....your mileage may vary
+1 for the spin bike and spin class. I've done it both ways. Probably spent 10 years on various trainers and 8 years spinning. Spinning is better in almost every way IMHO, especially if you have a good instructor. Spin bikes adjust well and you can easily get a position that's very close to your regular bike position. The big advantage is the workout. You just can't get as good a workout by yourself. A good instructor and a good class is a much better motivator.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
budget? "stationary bikes" are often crap, but a decent spin bike can replicate your position. it will cost you tho. if you ride occasionally or semi-regularly in winter, putting the bike (if you only have one) on and off and on again (and cleaning in between if needed) can be bit of a pita. whatever you get, keep in mind that many people would rather hang by their testicles than ride a trainer for more than 10min

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
What I get a kick out of is that somehow the experience of riding a wind trainer or a spin bike is even close to a real riding experience. No matter how hard we try, it will never approximate a real ride. Wind trainers of all stripes, rollers, spin bikes, stationary bikes, nothing will come close. So, the way I see it, what's important is motivation, intensity (all types of intensity from LSD, to recovery, to intervals, etc.) and tolerability (maybe even fun?). Spin class comes the closest IMHO. Now, YMMV. That's what's great about having choices.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts