Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still remember the good old days, when the top line component or bike would be called "___ Pro", with the mid-range stuff called "___ Comp". Then somehow the word "team" was introduced to signify a higher end line, and then the distinction between "team" and "team issue", and then "limited edition". Another common approach is to go with "SL" (Trek, Pinarello, to name a few). Trek of course went up to SL, SSL, and SSLX. Of course different brands do it a bit differently but more or less along the those lines.

Can anyone predict in 5 years, what common terms will be used to signify the top end bikes? Gillette will surely have its 10-blade shavers, but somehow shoe straps have stopped at 4.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Don't forget "Equipe" and "Elite."

Planet names are next. You'll really have the goods when you are riding on Uranus.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Subtle marketing cues make idiots of all of us at one time or another. Those "boring" psycho/sociology classes I slept through in college get more interesting the older I get. How much extra have we all paid for very small increaces in perceived quality/performance. We demand & pay extra for what makes us happy, and product placement folks know that.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
what we need is for a "generic" underground word of mouth movement to take place. Someone just needs to start making kick a** frames that have nothing written on them. Then word of mouth takes over....

all the frames out there now are so jearous looking (jearous is a word I made up it means heinous on a higher level).

yeah i'm dreaming I know...

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Back in the day (late 80's), we helped Aegis' predecessor launch into the enthusiast carbon frame market with a product line we dubbed and branded as "bik". They offered a "roadbik" and a rigid "mountainbik". Understated. Utilitarian. Bordering on generic.Twas our tongue in cheek response to the ever-expanding, perenially silly lexicon of bike marketing. But unfortunately, our efforts were a little ahead of their time, there was no web and distribution never caught on.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Sanhu said:
Can anyone predict in 5 years, what common terms will be used to signify the top end bikes?
As soon as Moots comes out with the 'Big Johnson'', I'll buy one. Maybe I'll even drop the money to buy a 'Big Johnson Equipe', but the 'Big Johnson Team' just doesn't fit into my lifestyle.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well I'm an Old Ibis guy

and when their reaction to Brain, Genius, etc... tube names was

Moron (as in their is More (metal) On (the ends) Butting it just confirmed who the 'smart ones' were.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lightspeed had a problem

when they came out with their "Ultimate" model. What to call the next one?

"Penultimate'? No, that would have been the preceeding model.

"Ultimatum"? Could work, especially if it was made of unobtanium.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,771 Posts
danl1 said:
Don't forget "Equipe" and "Elite."

Planet names are next. You'll really have the goods when you are riding on Uranus.
I ride on Myanus every day.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I'm still waiting for

Fred
FredLite
TeamFredEdition
Nuovo Fred
Super Fred
Elite Fred
Dura Fred
Equipe Fred

·
naranjito
785 Posts
one of my friends had a roadbik at uni about 10 years ago! have you got any photos you could post or know of any websites? i´ve been googling but have failed to find anything. if i remember correctly it had box section stays and was purple with yellow decals...

thanks

foz

·
Registered
61 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
As soon as Moots comes out with the 'Big Johnson'', I'll buy one. Maybe I'll even drop the money to buy a 'Big Johnson Equipe', but the 'Big Johnson Team' just doesn't fit into my lifestyle.

Will you really want to tell your friends that you ride a "Big Johnson" every day? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
foz said:
one of my friends had a roadbik at uni about 10 years ago! have you got any photos you could post or know of any websites? i´ve been googling but have failed to find anything. if i remember correctly it had box section stays and was purple with yellow decals...

thanks

foz
Sadly, I don't have much memorabilia from those days. Maybe a few stickers. The decals were bright, with splats of color that looked like they dropped on it from ten feet up (very 80's). That's actually how we created that artwork - step ladder, white paper, black ink, drop by drop.

Glad you remember the bike. They were ahead of their time. The only continuous strand, anisotropically wrapped, bladder voided frame in its day. I was always skeptical about the curved seat tube designed to provide a variable top tube length as you raised the saddle. Looks like Aegeia (sp?) is still using the same molds today.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
"Big Johnson" alternative

jaybird said:
Will you really want to tell your friends that you ride a "Big Johnson" every day? Not that there's anything wrong with that...
For our friends in the UK, how about "The Big John Thomas"? :)

·
Banned
608 Posts
jaybird said:
LOL. Good point.

I'll have to go for the top-line "Big Johnson EquipeD", which could be shorted to the "BJED" but never the "Big Johnson ED", which sounds almost like a plea for a ****** subscription.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Yep. I'm waiting for one of the big companies to figure out how they could "black market" some of their team only stuff. Every now and again you see a pro selling last years sponsors stuff on e-bay. Why wouldn't a company be shrewd enough to pre-market some of their team or skunk product in an auction format in disguise. With an ad like hey I'm a disgruntled R&D guy wanna buy some new parts that nobody, and I mean nobody can get yet? It could be a way to skim some primo geek dollars off the market prior to release.

Then there is skunk works as a name. Why not Otter works, or Emu works, or Walrus works. Or naming bikes after super hero's, Oh wait there is already Kryptonite out there.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
i´d forgotten about the curved seat tube. i´ve been googling for ages and have failed to come up with any photos. there aren´t even any on the aegis page. it was over ten years ago but i remember everyone thinking it was pretty flash but we weren´t quite convinced - we were all on lugged steel at the time, brifters were only for the very rich (and we were students, so the opposite to rich!) and it was the first carbon bike we had ever seen. someone sonn after got a specialized, one of those with CF tubes bonded into alu lugs. anyway, the BB unbonded itself from the rest of the racingbik and it died. they took far too long even thinking about replacing his frame, so he got a nice columbus lugged cinelli instead...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts