Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it in anyway bad for the bike to have it hang on the repair stand by the top tube as a way of storage? The bike is just resting freely on the clamp of the repair stand by it's top tube with a padded (with t shirt) clamp opening. The tube is not clamp down. Is this bad for the top tube to be supporting the full weight of the bike for extended periods?

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
kdub said:
Is it in anyway bad for the bike to have it hang on the repair stand by the top tube as a way of storage? The bike is just resting freely on the clamp of the repair stand by it's top tube with a padded (with t shirt) clamp opening. The tube is not clamp down. Is this bad for the top tube to be supporting the full weight of the bike for extended periods?
I wouldn't think so. Seems like bikes with thin enough tubing to be damaged by the hanging weight are also correspondingly lighter, so the damage never comes.

Others may have a different opinion, but I can't see that it would hurt anything.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
No problem

Lots of storage systems hang the bike by two small hooks under the top tube.

That's way more pressure than exerted by your padded workstand. Bikes are light. Just don't let your kid use it as a jungle gym.

· Registered
5,525 Posts
If I recall correctly, Fixed had a freak mishap with a nice Bianchi and a bike stand. To protect the finish, he clamped the bike with a shop rag wrapped around the tube (seat or top). After some time... a day .... a few days, he got back to the bike the paint had bubbled/pealed because of some solvent on the rag. The metal was fine, but the previously gorgeous paint job was toast.

Or I just dreamt all of this.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
kdub said:

I love my Bikes Aloft from performance bike. Does lean against the wall, and doesn't need a ceiling.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17452&subcategory_ID=6600

· Registered
239 Posts
Two vs. One

kdub said:
If I read this correctly, the bicycle stand supports the bicycle from one point; the bicycle racks support the weight at two points--better distribution?
For a bicycle (servicing/maintaining) stand, I use the bicycle rack on the front of my Van. Works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.