Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking for suggestions.

I'd like to get a cross bike, looking for: SS, disc brakes & a steel frame.

Was hoping to go used and buy something < $1K, but so far all I've found is the Salsa La Cruz & Las Cruces which my LBS sells new for $1,600 complete & geared or $1K frame & fork.

So any thoughts? I'm hoping to make this a bit of a jack-o-all-trades bike, do a little mountain biking and a lot of commuting on it.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
The Salsas are both actually pretty good bikes for what you're looking for. The La Cruz may be what you are looking for, but the Las Cruces is pretty durable for an Al-SC bike. In my own search I found people doing some interesting things with SS and flat bars for single track on the Salsas. Old Man Mountain makes racks that mount to the brake bosses of the LC. You can also look for the usual suspects in Surly Cross Check, Soma Double Cross, Lemond Poprad (While Supplies Last). How did the Salsas feel?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't actually try them b/c I was thrown off by their weird sizing.... apparently the listed size for a frame is about 3cm smaller than the actual size. They had a 51 and a 53 when I was there, I've now figured out that that's equivalent to 54 and 56 which is my sweet spot.

Going to hop on one tonight... they only have the La Cruz built up, the La Cruces are frame/fork only.

Anyone out there own either bike and want to put in their 2 cents?

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I have the Las Cruces (pictures on the next page). I'm still putting it through it's paces, but I am getting a pretty good idea. With discs I built it up to 18.4 Lbs. Very light, fast, still comfortable over longer rides. It climbs like a beast and cuts through the city traffic like a champ. Shouldering is great... ahhhh... I do a lot of that. Bike theft is so bad I feel like I need to wear my bike. I was worried about "harshness" etc... and I am not feeling it. The only thing I have encountered that I might term negative... and a small negative... it is SO light, that with the discs I stop so fast the rear can lift. Charging downhills I feel secure and stable. I did have gravel trucks to dodge and the brakes worked wonders. Great tracking. The color is easily seen by drivers as a bonus. I have yet to get dirty, but that's coming in June.
The frame and fork price at your shop seems a little steep for a discontinued frame. The La Cruz is a bit heavier, but may be more durable. You can't use cantis if you wanted, but a pretty solid looking ride. The Las Cruces geometry works great for me. I really love the bike. There's a lot I can do with it.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it seemed a bit high to me... though they do seem hard to find. Anyway I don't really want to buy the frame without riding one built up first which probably won't happen.

Found the La Cruz frameset for 586 on Bikeman, I may build it up.

Anyone have suggestions for other frames or is the La Cruz my best option?

· Registered
421 Posts
I realize your preference is steel, but since you mentioned the Las Cruces, there is another strong contender to consider. Check out the Bianchi Roger:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_roger.html

Not only is this bike very light, but I've heard the ride quality is great (the curved seatstays and carbon fork probably help in this regard). Plus, comes in 7 frame sizes too. The MSRP of ~$1K for the complete bike seem like a great deal considering you get Easton UL tubing, Avid BB-7s & WTB rims/tires/saddle. About the only thing to replace right away would be the pedals.

Personally, I really like the clean appearance and simple graphics too! :thumbsup:

Hope this helps,

Paul

· Registered
421 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Discontinued?
Hmmm, not sure if it is or not (???). Obviously, still listed on Bianchi's '08 website. Also, I think there was a Roger ad in Dirt Rag fairly recently. Definitely a niche type bike though, so wouldn't surprise me if it's dropped for '09. For sure, worth checking availability with the local dealer.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.