Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Kinda depends on how much you want to spend. Somebody like Joe Bell or Cycleart will be spendy whereas a local powder coater will probably be inexpensive. If you've got an 80's Cannondale you just want to look decent it doesn't pay to put a fancy paint job on it. If you've got a classic Colnago or Paramount you want to restore to it's original glory it pays to have it done by a talented pro. So, first, determine your goals and budget.

· What the Hell is going on
5,904 Posts
Spooky Thread

Mel Erickson said:
Kinda depends on how much you want to spend. Somebody like Joe Bell or Cycleart will be spendy whereas a local powder coater will probably be inexpensive. If you've got an 80's Cannondale you just want to look decent it doesn't pay to put a fancy paint job on it. If you've got a classic Colnago or Paramount you want to restore to it's original glory it pays to have it done by a talented pro. So, first, determine your goals and budget.
Whoooa! For the reasons you've stated, I've recently powdercoated my '89 Cannonball (rain bike) and I am currently conflicted as to weather to paint my Paramount it's original Tri-color ($800+ at CycleArt) or go single color with the lugs outlined. It's like your living in my head. Weird.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Yeah, I've got an '84 Cannondale R400 just lying around in the basement with a few parts missing (like a wheelset, seatpost, saddle) that I can't figure out what to do with. I've already got my good road bike, travel road bike, commuter and fixie. For a while I had it set up as a single speed but the fixie took over. In short order I'll have a spare set of wheels and plenty of other parts to get it running again but I can't see why I should put in the effort because I don't really have a spot in the lineup. It needs a paint job but if I won't use it I don't see the point.

On the other hand I have a Schwinn Circuit, circa 1989, that's my travel bike. This model was one down from the Paramount and shares it's geometry but the tubing was not as nice. Chrome stays and, best of all, a complete Shimano Sante group. Shimano only made this group for a few years and it was between Dura Ace and 600 (Ultegra) but much closer to Dura Ace. The group is painted white and silver and it's 7spd Biopace. I've kept it original except for the installation of S&S couplers which necessitated a new finish. Had it powdercoated in a lipstick red that is a dead match to the original color. Nice chrome fork. It's my favorite bike.

5,904 Posts
Hmmm, Schwinn

Mel Erickson said:
On the other hand I have a Schwinn Circuit, circa 1989, that's my travel bike. . . . Had it powdercoated in a lipstick red that is a dead match to the original color. Nice chrome fork. It's my favorite bike.
Pics please, sir.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
CyclArt is next door to my office

you shoulda seen the mint Paramount 50th Anniversarry with bling gold Panto'd Campy Super record 50th parts.schwing! If it's a really nice bike use them or Joe Bell. If it's a nice bike use Spectrum (they powdercoat and wet paint). If it's a so so bike local powdercoat guy, if it's a beater bust out the Krylon.

5,904 Posts
Still, I lust. . .

I know what you mean. Two members of my cycling club have the 50th anniversary Paramount (with the gold fork) sans the panto Campy stuff. One is red and the other is black. South Bay Cycles used to have a black frame with gold fork hanging from the ceiling for the longest time. Too bad is was too small for me. It was a 56, I think. I've heard they had problems with the gold plating on the fork. Still, I lust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.