Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a recreational/commute rider looking to start riding again after a 4-5 year break due to being out of country. I always liked riding before but have never been very knowledgeable when it comes to types of bikes/purchasing. I need a bike largely for a five mile work commute and weekend rides for fun. I'm currently considering a used 2012 Specialized Dolce Compact for $400 (Craigslist link below). I've test-ridden the bike and it seems to be in good shape and fits me well. Is it worth the price? It seems like a good deal to me and is definitely a bike I'd enjoy riding, but I want to be sure I'm not overspending, especially since this'll be my first bike purchase in awhile.

Edited to add a quick note: It's all original components, nothings been upgraded or replaced per seller. His wife bought it but didn't end up using it

https://providence.craigslist.org/bik/d/specialized-dolce-compact/6226247709.html

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
worth $400, but is a small frame. are you and the wife about the same size?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
good deal, that bike is in excellent condition. its aluminum, so even if it has been down, you don't have to worry about catastrophic failure. its an entry level bike with entry level components, but specialized makes excellent equipment. unlike many other manufacturers, they pass techonology down the line to less expensive frames. so even if the material in the frame and components is slightly heavier, the engineering will still provide you with a comparable ride to its better bikes. kinda cool

normally, I would say avoid used equipment. but this one looks like you might want to pull the trigger, its not gonna last at that price. I also typically admonish about the one place you want to be especially wary of wear and tear---the chain and cassette--the cassette is the mechanism on the back that changes gearing, making it more or less difficult to pedal, depending on how much resistance you want to feel as you shift gears. because the chain and the cassette wear out at the same rate, if the chain starts to skip, or slip off and not hold on to the cogs, then you have a little expense on your hands. you cant just change the chain, cause the new chain wont work on the old cassette that wore out at the same rate as the old chain. the chain and cassette would both need to be replaced, and that's usually a professional job you have to take to the shop. nbd, not major, but an expense sometimes on a used bike.

but it doesn't look like that would be an issue on this bike. its in new condition. look at the handlebar tape, look at the tread on the tires, look at the chain. looks like she barely touched it. maybe its been tuned up or something, but if he did take it to the shop and is still offering at that price, even better for you. 400 bucks is a lot of money, I know, but its not an insane investment, and once you get on this bike, youre probably not gonna want to get off. there might also still be some warranty on it at the local shop there in providence. you can always take it there with any questions or problems, bike shops are typically pretty cool. plus, he has those flat things on there, you don't have to buy shoes or pedals right away. but get a helmet, even if its an inexpensive one. and spend some time learning how to shift the gears. otherwise,

its a slam dunk honey. you wont get a better deal at that price. let us know how it works out....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts