Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some killer movies out there about bicycle races, but their names escape me now. Please respond with any titles of movies that you may know, especially ones that you may be able to find to rent at a local store. Thank you for your time.

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Breaking Away

u_r_r_r said:
I know there are some killer movies out there about bicycle races, but their names escape me now. Please respond with any titles of movies that you may know, especially ones that you may be able to find to rent at a local store. Thank you for your time.
Breaking Away is a classic. If you want BMX racing, try "Rad" That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

--Kevin

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
u_r_r_r said:
The Triplets of Bellville, in theaters now. As soon as the DVD is out I'm buying one.

I think there is also a dvd out about an american team's year, called Hard Ride or something like that.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
American Flyers

I picked it up at Walmart last week in the cheap bin believe it or not. Early 80's racing in Colorado staring Kevin Costner. Another but more of a bike currier with Kevin Bacon. It's about time they make another bike movie!

·
Registered
462 Posts
The Hard Ride is a good cycling vid about the year of a pro team. I wished they would have focused a little more on the training versus the races. Still a good movie to watch.

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
La Tete en Course.

La Tete en Course ("head of the pack") is an hour long cinema verite 16mm film documentary of Eddy Merckx' exploits in the 70s. It just shows the action without a disembodied voice telling you what you're seeing. You can watch it over and over and learn new stuff with each viewing. On one level it gets into how Eddy dominated the peleton, and on another it's a music video celebrating the European road racing scene.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Breaking Away

In Breaking Away, what were those bike that the Italians rode. I know that Dave rode a Masi but I never could quite make out those bikes riden by the Cinzano team. If anyone has a better eye than me or recognizes vintage frames, let me know. Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
There can be only one

OverStuffed said:
Breaking Away is a classic. If you want BMX racing, try "Rad" That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

--Kevin
Breaking Away is the cream of the crop in my book.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I swear I heard a rumour that someone was going to do the full Hollywood blockbuster treatment on the whole Lance story.

Here are some predictions for the roles:

1. LA - This is a toughie. Er, Sylvester Stallone?
2. Jan - Arnie! Gotta be!
3. Marco - Danny De Vito. OK OK just kidding....
4. Johan Bruyneel - Paul Newman.

CC

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
The cast

Ce Cinquanta said:
I swear I heard a rumour that someone was going to do the full Hollywood blockbuster treatment on the whole Lance story.

Here are some predictions for the roles:

1. LA - This is a toughie. Er, Sylvester Stallone?
2. Jan - Arnie! Gotta be!
3. Marco - Danny De Vito. OK OK just kidding....
4. Johan Bruyneel - Paul Newman.

CC
This has been a much-debated topic here before. All I can recall is that Guy Pearce ("Memento") is the only actor skinny enough to play LA.
Boy, I hope they don't make a film of this. The story is already too Hollywood to believe, it could only be done badly and/or wrong.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cycling Movies

The recent documentary is The Hard Road. Highly recommended.

The Kevin Bacon movie was Quicksilver.

Did anyone catch the blooper in Breaking away where they show Dave drafting off the semi at 60 mph? In one shot, they switch from Dave to the front chainring/crank and show him spinning away...in the LITTLE ring!! Still a great movie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.