Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new truck. I sold the bike rack from my old truck about two years ago (had a car for the last two years). Now I need another rack for the truck. I used to have the Delta Stable Loader, which was ok, but not great. Any recommendations for a new one, or maybe a homemade one? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Mark
"Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt those of us who are doing it."

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
That's what a friend of mine used in his pickup. Cheap, stable, easily removable, and if you put it right behind the cab, out of the wind, mostly.

·
me rikey to bikey
60 Posts
I use a couple cleats, offset mounted in the bed rails, just about 4" back on the drivers side, 8" back on the passenger side. I fit the bikes up near the cab, keeps lots of water, snow, grime, whatever off the bikes.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I use a Transit rack from Performance **gasp**. It is great because it is easy to drop in and take out but it locks in place too! I had their old version which was like a large shower rod but it sucked :mad: I took it back after a year of use and they replaced it with the new version which rocks.Lazy link to Big P check it out you may like it, I love it.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Another vote for board and fork mounts...

I trimmed a 2x6 to fit around the gas filler neck, bolted on the mounts (slightly angled so the bars don't hit each other) and dropped it in. Took about 20 minutes to build and it's worked flawlessly for six years.
To lock, I put the front wheels next to the bike and run a cable between the front tie-downs, though the frames and wheels. Only drawback is that my bikes are big, 64cm, and my camper shell is small, so I can't use the board when the shell is on, but it hasn't been a big problem.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The Homemade Rack for your Truck Bed

Personally I followed my own thought processes for building a truck bed bike rack.
I have heard several folks mention the 2x6 method... Personally I used 2x10, cut to fit the bed very snug, and then purchased the hollywood front fork mounts.

I don't know if this is a common problem or not but my reason for the 2x10 instead of 2x6 was simply cause I can mount 4 bikes and the weight of the 2x10 seemed a bit better for keeping the bikes from putting torque on the wood, and I would hate to have 4 bikes slide outta my truck on a country road while making a sharp turn at speed.

It worked well. At least for my Ford Ranger...
I can take some photos if you want... But it's SO simple that it would really be overkill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used the 2x6 method also(my truck has the little shelves molded into the bed so you can lay a 2x6 in there). As a minor improvement I cut pieces of rubber from an old truck bed mat, wrapped them over the ends, and screwed in place. This gives it a little more grip and saves some wear and tear on the paint where the board rests. I'll probably also add a U-bolt or two to the board to run a locking cable through. Won't be totally theft-proof, but if someone wants the bike quick they'll have to take a 6' piece of board with them.
another good option is the Saveaload bar. their website is www.saveaload.com, but IIRC i found mine cheaper by buying it thru a tool place. look for "pickup load bars" and you should be able to find it. i think the whole deal was just over $100 with two bike mounts.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
yakima

I've used a Yakima truck rack for more than 5 years. Although more expensive than just bolting fork clamps to a board, you can lock it, which is important to me. A dedicated thief could still steal my bike, but it would be much harder than if merely clamped to a board. Yakima rack cost about $100 when I bought it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Built my own

I took a 1X6 and took 2 strips of metal and screwed to the bottom to give some stability. Then I put on 2 yakima fork mounts and drilled holes and fastened it to the tie downs in the bed with bolts and nuts. I also sprayed the whole thing with a rubberized coating. Worked great for the 3 years I had the truck. Now I need to buy something for my new WRX wagon. Oh yea the truck was a ford ranger.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like my recrac, Can mount my Mountain Bike or Roadie without any tire removal. It's in a Mazda B4000 (Ford Ranger) and has performed great for running to the trails or taking my bike to work for lunch rides. The plastic separators are pretty pathetic for additional bikes, but they work ok. If the guys all go on a trip - we take a bigger truck so having more than my two bikes in my truck isn't an issue.

http://www.recrac.com/index.html

mbb

·
More Miles...
289 Posts
mvnbykes said:
I just got a new truck. I sold the bike rack from my old truck about two years ago (had a car for the last two years). Now I need another rack for the truck. I used to have the Delta Stable Loader, which was ok, but not great. Any recommendations for a new one, or maybe a homemade one? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Mark
"Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt those of us who are doing it."
I built this rack for my F250 . It's really simple and it will hold four bikes ( if done carefully ).

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
2x4s here. Had a PBS rack that got sold when I sold my first truck. Did OK, but nothing special.

I've seen at least one guy using Yakima rain gutter towers bolted on upside down in the bed. If you already have a Yak rack, that makes sense. No sense wasting it!

M

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow - I'm impressed by the inventiveness of this group.

I went the simple route. When I'm carrying only one bike, I center the rear wheel against the back of the cab and use two tie-downs, run from each corner in the front of the bed, up around the seat post. When my wife comes with me, I'm able to weave two additional straps from the same cleats. Keeps the bikes from banging into each other.

I've carried up to four bikes by using the tailgate as a brace, then running additional tie-downs from the cleats in the rear of the bed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
here's my solution. it lets me squeeze a bunch of bikes on there, leaves the bed empty and allows me to close and lock the bed cover.

·
LOOK FREAK
1,044 Posts
rzims said:
I have a 2x6 cut to fit in the wells in the bed with two of the performance bike mounts bolted to it.
It's nice because I can remove it when I'm not using it
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=3702

Rich
i bought 2 of those little skewers from performance and attached to a 3 foot 2x6 when i had my van. worked like a charm and super cheap.

with my 4runner, i cant get my bikes inside however so i just bought one of those $119 trailer hitches at Dicks sporting goods that holds 4 bikes..works perfectly as long as you have a couple of bungie cords to keep the front wheels stable.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts