Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bike rack for our minivan, but there is a problem. We are going to be taking a trip and we want to bring the bikes. We will have six people in the van plus two dogs in the rear of the van. The dogs will have to enter and exit the van through the rear hatch that opens up, so I am wondering if there is any way to have a hitch-mounted rack that can swing out of the way to open the van's rear hatch?

If not, what are suggestions for a non-hitch mounted rack for the rear? We can always try and get the dogs in and out over the rear seat though we were hoping to put up a barrier to keep them from climbing over the seat while we're driving.

I would consider a roof rack, too, but we already have a Yakima roof rack that will be used and takes about half the width of the roof. If we have to, I guess we'll forgo the Yakima and just get a bike rack for the roof, but I'm looking for suggestions on what to do. We will need to transport two adult bicycles on the rack.

Thanks.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
nate said:
I need a bike rack for our minivan, but there is a problem. We are going to be taking a trip and we want to bring the bikes. We will have six people in the van plus two dogs in the rear of the van. The dogs will have to enter and exit the van through the rear hatch that opens up, so I am wondering if there is any way to have a hitch-mounted rack that can swing out of the way to open the van's rear hatch?

If not, what are suggestions for a non-hitch mounted rack for the rear? We can always try and get the dogs in and out over the rear seat though we were hoping to put up a barrier to keep them from climbing over the seat while we're driving.

I would consider a roof rack, too, but we already have a Yakima roof rack that will be used and takes about half the width of the roof. If we have to, I guess we'll forgo the Yakima and just get a bike rack for the roof, but I'm looking for suggestions on what to do. We will need to transport two adult bicycles on the rack.

Thanks.
There are some hatchback racks that are quite different from the standard rear rack--my father-in-law just dropped one off at my house, but I haven't messed with it, so I can't give too much detail.

The rack is basically a large square frame that lays against the back of the vehicle, and it has fork mounts that hang the bikes vertically--they look like they're riding up the back of the car (except the front wheels are off). I would imagine that you might be able to put it on the hatch of the minivan and raise and lower it, bikes and all, without too much trouble. I'm not sure of this, but it seems like it might be feasible.

You might be able to do this with a conventional trunk-mount too--many of them will work on a minivan.

Wish I could give you more detail (like a brand or model would be helpful, I'm sure), but maybe this will spark someone's memory here. I know somebody posted a link to this style of rack in one of the other bike rack threads--maybe the one about being afraid to roof-mount bikes?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
I've got a THULE rack that mounts into the hitch and swings out of the way to allow the opening of the back hatch. This rack also has a lock for the bolt that keeps the rack in the receiver and an integrated cable lock. Takes about 20-30 minutes to put the thing together out of the box, and after assembled, about 2 to 5 minutes to get the rack on or off the car. The business ends of the rack also fold away and rotate for storage when there are not bikes on them. There are various closure things (don't know what else to call them) that keep the moveable parts of the rack tight so you don't hear any rattling. I got mine at REI. Yakima makes a similar unit, but the things that sold me on the THULE was that all the rubber parts are bolted to the rack (so they don't walk away) and the integrated cable lock. check it out here:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=998XT

·
Registered
341 Posts
Easy. Based on the minivan, I'm assuming chidlren (probably incorrectly, however I'm carrying on with this anyway). Kids strapped to roof with whatever straps and tape you have around. Dogs and bikes inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.