Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was setting up my bike rack last night (adding a couple trays) and pondered the question, ‘what arrangement of trays is going to be the most aerodynamic.’ Has anyone else given this any thought????

Here’s the scenario:

4 trays on top of an SUV. All trays have fork mounts. Is it better to have all 4 alternating direction (facing forward, next tray facing towards the rear, etc.) allowing all the bike to be as compact/close together as possible?? Is it better to have the two outside trays facing forward (this would mean the two inside trays would be facing rearward). Or maybe the two outside trays should be facing rearward (having the two inside trays facing forward).

Is this a dumb questions?? It most certainly is!!!! However, I’m willing to bet I’m not the ONLY person to consider such things!!!!

What set-up do your use and why??

JB

·
Squish Mitten
89 Posts
The alternating position is probably the best way to get them as close together as possible. As far as aero is concerned, four bikes on your roof will not be aero no matter their configuration.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
behind

JBergland said:
I was setting up my bike rack last night (adding a couple trays) and pondered the question, ‘what arrangement of trays is going to be the most aerodynamic.’ Has anyone else given this any thought????

Here’s the scenario:

4 trays on top of an SUV. All trays have fork mounts. Is it better to have all 4 alternating direction (facing forward, next tray facing towards the rear, etc.) allowing all the bike to be as compact/close together as possible?? Is it better to have the two outside trays facing forward (this would mean the two inside trays would be facing rearward). Or maybe the two outside trays should be facing rearward (having the two inside trays facing forward).

Is this a dumb questions?? It most certainly is!!!! However, I’m willing to bet I’m not the ONLY person to consider such things!!!!

JB
I put my behind the vehicle, where there are no (measureable) aerodynamic issues. I have two roof trays for overflow, but don't use them unless I have to. I see at least a 2 mpg drop from even having 1 bike on the roof.

Nonetheless, I would assume that bikes on the roof are most aero the same orientation they are aero when we ride them. I doubt proximity matters, unless you can position them in tandem (really bid SUV?) and let some draft others.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
JBergland said:

Here’s the scenario:

JB
4 bikes on the roof is going to kill mileage no matter how you have them up there. The easiest way I've ever found to put bikes up is to make sure that the one over your driver's door is facing forward, the one over the passenger door facing rearwards. That way, you don't have to worry about getting greasy.

MAKE SURE that the bikes facing backwards are secured down. I inherited a cracked Look carbon frame after someone forgot to lock down the rear wheel... Got up to freeway speeds and the bike pivoted around its fork mount and slammed onto the roof. Too bad it would've cost more to fix it than it was worth, probably would've been a great riding bike.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts