Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
Been a while, I hope all are well.

I Revised my automobile and now my King Joe bike rack no longer works. Okay by me since I will never like the strap-down types anyway.

I plan to install a Class III receiver hitch 2" and am bewildered by the array of bike racks out there. I lean towards the tray type where the wheels rest on brackets of some sort and a clamp holds the bike down.

Prices are all over the place. The Yakima's, for example, look great and cost a fortune.
I have one Trek Domane and a couple others of the less pricey variety.

A price of $200 or less is my goal.
Suggestions?
thanks!

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Yeah, the tray mount are more expensive but if I had it to do over again I'd probably get a tray rack. I have something like this one Thule Hitching Post Pro - Folding Tilting 4 Bike Rack w Anti-Sway - 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches Thule Hitch Bike Racks TH934XTR It was "relatively" inexpensive and just fits into your $200 range. Mine actually has a little nicer lever to allow it to swing out. I typically only carry one bike on it but it is a pain to load in a way where the handlebars don't want to move around. I put the bike all the way onto the rack (position closest to tailgate) and use an old toe strap to secure the pedal to the down member of the rack. That keeps it from swaying far better than the anti-sway thing Thule sells. A tray version rack would be so much easier as well as better for the bike. But the cheapest one's I've seen are >$300.

Another thing is I'm not too keen on trusting the plastic ratchet straps or rubber tie downs many of commercial racks use. I use them but will often also use a backup toe strap as extra security.

the 1UPUSA that the other poster mentioned looks really nice. Touches no part of the frame and no straps either. If you need to carry more than one bike though the add-ons will make it a pretty expensive rack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure how expensive your bikes are, but a rack isn't the place to skimp on money. Thule T2 pro xt. Is a solid 2 tray system. Make sure u get the xt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There are no 'cheap' and 'good' options for tray racks, there are cheap ones, and there are good ones. Just none that are both - at least not that I've found. Anyway, this is not something you want to skimp on - the last thing you need is for your bike to go bouncing down the highway - causing "Mayhem"...

I injured my shoulder last year and couldn't lift my bikes onto my roof rack, and did quite a bit of research into tray style racks. I'm not thrilled about the idea of using my bikes as a rear bumper for my car, but I didn't really have a lot of choice in the matter.

I ended up with Kuat Sherpa 2 slot - It's light, robust, simple design (very few moving parts) and super fast and easy to load bikes on to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great answers.
One thing is clear I did not think of earlier, the arm to hold the bike down should not contact the frame. The Domane I have is carbon. I guess that is why.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'm convinced the only people you'll find recommending a rack other than a 1UpUSA, are those people who've yet to use a 1UpUSA.

I've had custom racks, Thules, Yaks... the 1Up is just in its own class.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the Youtube vid the Sherpa does indeed look real nice.
I like the anti-rattle feature attaching to the hitch receiver.
Does the 1UP have this feature?
The 1UP looks great too.
thanks

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The main selling point for me on the Kuat Sherpa was weight - it's extremely light - my 4' 11" girlfriend has no problem taking it off and putting it on by herself. I was basically operating with one arm for about 8 months while my shoulder healed, and I had no trouble with it either. I think it's listed at 32lbs, but i weighed mine and it was 29lbs without the 2" receiver adapter.

It's also fairly compact when removed from the car - I can take it off and easily toss it in the back of my hatchback or into a corner of the garage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've also used a Kuat hitch mount and it was great. I've also used two different roof mounts- a yakima and a thule. The roof mounts were convenient and fast, but my wife and I are now using our inside-the-ford-escape-bike mount. Better mpg, keeps bikes hidden from thieves, keeps bugs off bikes, keeps rain off bikes, keeps rocks from semis off bikes, etc. The obvious drawback is limited cargo space inside the car, and we have to take front wheels off. But fork mounts cost ten bucks each, and I just screwed them to 2x4s and stuck some velcro on the 2x4.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm convinced the only people you'll find recommending a rack other than a 1UpUSA, are those people who've yet to use a 1UpUSA.

I've had custom racks, Thules, Yaks... the 1Up is just in its own class.
I've not tried it, I actually rarely use a hitch rack system. I have trays mounted to the beds of both my trucks. The one ups look like someone went to a hardware store and put a bunch of random pieces together and made a rack. Between the wife and 2 kids, we have 16 different bikes of various sizes, the thule can handle them all without any special adjustments or add ons. It does weigh 50 lbs, but solid as a rock

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for the replies.
I am leaning now to "up the ante" and own a reliable rack, and use it more frequently too. It looks to me the arm braces that grab the wheel instead of the top tube are where the price differential really begins. And the construction takes a step-up too.
Carbon rims not being my future. Thanks!

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
I've not tried it, I actually rarely use a hitch rack system. I have trays mounted to the beds of both my trucks. The one ups look like someone went to a hardware store and put a bunch of random pieces together and made a rack.
Ha. It looks (and is) a CNC machined piece of art. Other than a few bolts, you wouldn't find any of it at a hardware store.

Between the wife and 2 kids, we have 16 different bikes of various sizes, the thule can handle them all without any special adjustments or add ons.
As can the 1upusa. And can do it faster than any other system. Plus if you have carbon wheels, there's to ratchet strap cinching down on your rim.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ha. It looks (and is) a CNC machined piece of art. Other than a few bolts, you wouldn't find any of it at a hardware store.

As can the 1upusa. And can do it faster than any other system. Plus if you have carbon wheels, there's to ratchet strap cinching down on your rim.
There's nothing to adjust, on t2 pro xt. Every bike goes in and tight the same way. I have "no ****" 8 sets of carbon wheels

1 - 20 of 41 Posts