Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CPSC has gotten Cannondale to recall some of their bikes because of a lack of spoke protection disks?

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/blog/cannondale-recalls-road-bicycles-due-to-fall-hazard/

"Hazard: The bicycles fail to meet the federal safety standard for bicycles. Spoke protector discs, required on bicycles to prevent the bicycle chain from interfering or suddenly stopping the wheel, are missing from these bicycles. This poses a fall hazard to the rider.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported." !!!

There is a Federal safety standard requiring spoke protector disks? Are you kidding me?

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
Pretty ridiculous. The 6 is a race bike. The customer is going to take it off first thing, anyway! A properly adjusted derailleur doesn't need one. Obviously necessary on a dept store bike, but not on a high-end race bike. Someone at CPSC has too much time on their hand that they even looked or noticed Cannondale left them off.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually takes the bike in to get a free spoke protector.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Kidding?

Sadly, no.

I work in the bike industry, and we are making fun of Cannondale a little, but also cringing -- I mean, that could be anyone. How much is that going to cost 'em? Ouch.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
what exactly are they going to do? put ithe discs back on all the bikes, that the owners prob removed as soon as they took 'em home?

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Argentius said:
Kidding?

Sadly, no.

I work in the bike industry, and we are making fun of Cannondale a little, but also cringing -- I mean, that could be anyone. How much is that going to cost 'em? Ouch.
I was in the bike shop last year and noticed all the Madones had them- I actually did a double take. I rolled my eyes and figured it was just a California thing with Trek's liability lawyers suggesting it, but this... I forgot who said it, "God protect us from the people who would protect us from ourselves," but it seems appropriate.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Used Bike

I recently purchased a bike on ebay. It does not have the required safety disk. Should I ship it back to the guy I bought it from so that he can install it? If he refuses can I report him to the federales?

On a similar note, in Illinois it is against the law to sell any pedals (on or off the bike) without reflectors on them. Thankfully, this law appears to be ignored.

d) No person shall sell a new bicycle or pedal for use on a bicycle that is not equipped with a reflex reflector conforming to specifications prescribed by the Department, on each pedal, visible from the front and rear of the bicycle during darkness from a distance of 200 feet.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
CPSC also requires reflectors on all pedals. But you will notice that new bikes are not usually sold with pedals anymore. It's OK to add pedals without after as the CPSC rules apply to the original manufacturers, not the bike shops.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I suspect all they have to do is contact the owners they know about (does anyone ever send in those warranty cards?) and offer to add the dork disk at their nearest dealer. I doubt few people will take them up on it.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
Argentius said:
How much is that going to cost 'em? Ouch.
I doubt it will cost them much of anything. The discs are but pennies, and they'll probably just send an extra one or two along with shipments that are already going to shops that sold the bikes, if the shop requests them because they actually have a customer asking for his pie plate.

It would be a very low number of Six owners that actually want the disc.

The only way it would really cost them is if less intelligent consumers get worried about buying a Six because they don't understand the recall is only for a useless little piece of plastic, and just freak out and won't purchase the bike because they heard the word "recall."

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
The police should set up spoke protector checkpoints. Any bike found without the protector will be recycled into beer cans.

·
Registered
653 Posts
MikeBiker said:
The police should set up spoke protector checkpoints. Any bike found without the protector will be recycled into beer cans.
haha!

After reading the bike rules pdf that was linked earlier in the thread, I think if those rules were enforced, every single bike on the road would probably be illegal.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
That sucks.. Hopefully Cannondale doesn't get ripped for this. What about a new TT bike with a full disk in back. Do they need to add a dork disk to a disk wheel?

·
Banned
203 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
haha!

After reading the bike rules pdf that was linked earlier in the thread, I think if those rules were enforced, every single bike on the road would probably be illegal.
In all seriousness (sort of), there is a difference between what a bike has on it when it is sold to you vs what it has to have on it when it is on the street. A bike has to be sold with a dork disk but you can take it off after you get it out the LBS door. It is like the mattress tag that says it is illegal to remove except by consumer.

In Illinois it is against the law to sell a bike without reflectors but it is not against the law to ride without them. It is against the law to ride after dusk without a front and rear light visible at a specified distance but it is not against the law to sell a bike without a light.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
livin4lax09 said:
haha!

I just looked at it. It's bad news for SS and fixies- they have to have a chain guard. And the pedal requirement isn't just for reflectors on the pedals. They must be recessed reflectors. I've seen a lot of department store bikes with pedal reflectors. None have ever been recessed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I bought a new bike just a couple of months ago and it had neither the spoke protector or reflectors.

Dancer (in Nebraska)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts